redirect parked domain to main domain

alchol12

hello

i have a website on a vps
i have a main domain with .com extension and 4 other domains
i want to define those other domain names as parked domain and redirect them to main domain

then if any one opens one of parked domains it automatically redirects to main domains and they will see the main domain name in the address bar of their browser

please help me to define redirection for my parked domains

The simple way to do it without bothering to add the 'parked' domains to DA is to just do it at the registrar. They generally will offer free services including domain forwarding right from your domain control panel at the domain registrar where you bought the domain.

To do as you want, don't use 'masked' forward, iframe. Just something that looks as simple as it is..

example2.com redirect to [ http://example1.com/ ] sort of form at the registrar.. ensuring no checkboxes for masking, iframe, etc are checked.

Last edited:
In my experience this is extremely easy to do with DirectAdmin...

When registering the domain (or later) make sure the domain uses the same nameserver as where the main domain is created. This is usually the same nameserver as running on your DirectAdmin server.

Then log into your DirectAdmin user-level control panel for the main domain.

Under Site Redirection create a pointer. This will take care of both the code and the DNS records.

Jeff

I'm thinking about doing some sort of parking with domains I keep.. One of the benefits with respect to more privacy that is possible by keeping dns management at the registrar and varying SOA if desired. I sort of like that part.

That's just me though. I kind of get irked about the automated mining and profiling that is always going on. Moving all the domain DNS management to DA or any other server I could have is ultimately going to be digested and profiled.

Alas, I suppose that it's futile but I like the days when people were actually offered small compensation for use of their information, whatever it may have been. These days it's like everyone in the world feels entitled to do pretty much whatever with the information, even when they don't wrap it all up in some terribly one sided privacy policy.

Well, then try my idea above.

But even easier with domain parking: Create a page (for example) parked.example.com, and put it at it's own IP#.

Now you don't even need any code at all; any domain pointed to that IP# in DNS will automatically resolve to parked.example.com.

Don't even want to need to set up a DNS zone? That may be possible, too. I'm working on it now; feel free to contact me by email for more information on this.

You can even set up your own parking page (I have a low-priced domain registration site and I'm building my own parking system), manage your own advertising, and make some money on your parked domains if you wish :).

Mostly all off-topic for DirectAdmin forums. I'll open an Off-Topic thread if there appears to be any interest.

Jeff

Using DA to point a domain locally or to a remote site still presents the DA server IP as part of the trail AFAIK. Certainly using the DA server NS dislodges more data.

I'm pretty sure some of the spam on my very old ISP email (must be close to 20 years old now) address originated after being propagated in whois, soa, etc from host providers or my very early domain registrations. oops. :)

Although not instantly or to casual users, can direct correlation to server operator be made with domains. The way info is consumed though, and as time passes analytics available at some of the DNS sites I've used is amazing. Over a period of time though I'd bet the correlation could almost be considered magic in how accurate it can be. Perhaps never reaching 100% accurate, but that's approaching as cameras continue to be deployed -- unless cell phones have already sufficed to stitch it all together. hehe

I think there is a certain amount of info to be had from domains that dead end at the registrar but intermittent whois and other info is swarmed (about like putting a new server online is by port scanners) and stuffed into the data banks. I am confident that if desired, a party could obtain via private companies, every single IP my domains have ever pointed to (along with more info in many cases) probably going back to mid-90s.

I don't much care about that for most domains I hold. However if I don't wish to sell or develop any of them I don't want to be bothered at all about them. No SEO, no traffic, no email, no offers of any kind. Nothing. Unless they want to spend time and money, track me down, ring to doorbell and make an offer face to face then not interested. hehe Some of the domains I've lucked out in this regard. They have no nameservers assigned at the registrar. Proof positive that no spam coming from them! Not sure 0 NS is possible at the registrar level anywhere these days.

Suppose someone has 20 domains with names that are dubious in and of themselves. Not based on any sort of associated hosting. Say all curse words or topic oriented in some way that is not politically correct.. All pointing to my server IP. If nothing else it could be construed as the server owner/company being sympathetic of whatever people conjure about those names.

IMO, this could have backlash for an IP of the server at least. The rest of the possibilities is only limited by the flaws of humanity.

The parking service sounds interesting, Jeff. I was working off and on with a parking system years ago for the DS I had.
If you tangent to off-topic I will follow since what you describe sounds useful and interesting to me as a domain portfolio owner.

The parking service sounds interesting, Jeff. I was working off and on with a parking system years ago for the DS I had.
If you tangent to off-topic I will follow since what you describe sounds useful and interesting to me as a domain portfolio owner.
New thread started here.

Jeff

Back