"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be veri"

IT_Architect

Verified User
"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be veri"

Outlook Send error:
"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified"
"The target principal name is incorrect"
"Do you want to continue to use this server?"
If I answer OK, it will use it a while, probably until I reboot, or maybe if I shut down and restart Outlook.

It has a regular cert, and it works perfectly on POP3 and web mail.

Thanks!

If your security certificate is for mail.domain.com, and you use smtp.domain.com for outgoing, then you will get that error.

I set up my security certificate for secure.domain.com, and just use that for both incoming and outgoing names.

Your SSL certificate is for domain.com and not for mail.domain.com. Use domain.com as server.

Outlook Send error:
"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified"
"Do you want to continue to use this server?"
If I answer OK, it will use it a while, probably until I reboot, or maybe if I shut down and restart Outlook.
It has a regular cert, and it works perfectly on POP3 and web mail.
Thanks!

Solved! When I upgraded the cert, I did not update the copy Exim was using. (Oh duh!) The name didn't change, it was a renewal. The problem was Exim's copy was expired, but returned the error:
The fix was to update Exim's copy. Dovecot and Webmail both use Apache's copy, as installed through DA, which is why they didn't have the problem.

If you Google the error, you will find that error gets returned in other situations, most commonly from using a port that Outlook doesn't like for some reason. In my case I was sending on the standard mail submission port, and no proxy.

Last edited:
Back