DirectAdmin backup is including Installatron backup

Magistar

Verified User
My backups are getting bigger and bigger. I found out that the reason lies in my Installatron backup scheme. Installatron keeps a chain backup for two of my domains. They are 50mb x3 (month/week/day) and 200mb x3.

Now when I create a manual backup with directadmin it includes the application_backup folder of installatron, which is 750MB (!). Basically I can now fit only 2 DirectAdmin backups on my server AND I have to download absurdly large files.

How can I get DirectAdmin to skip the application_backups folder???

ps These english random questions make no sense for a non-native speaker (Two Four Six Eight, who do we _____ ?).

To which backups do you refer? The user level backup? The reseller level backup? Or the admin level reseller backup?

I suppose I could infer you mean the user level backup, but since this likely needs to be a feature request I'd like to be sure before replying.

Those reandom quesitons keep a lot of spam from new users out of our forum and away from your eyes. Normally our system will automatically Verify you after a certain number of posts which are not spam, but I've manually verified your account and you shouldn't be bothered by those questions again.

Jeff

Hi there. Thanks for verifying. I guess I am at the user level.

I am going to Domain>Website(I have 2 there)>Create/Restore backups>Backup All Domains.

It seems odd to me that the DirectAdmin does not skip the application_backups folder. Since it came with Installatron installed. It does skip its own "backup" folder. Unfortunately at Installatron I can only chose for "My web host" or FTP/dropbox.

I wouldn't consider that a bug, but rather a design feature.

Don't forget to consider that users may have many different solutions in place outside of DirectAdmin's control, and may not upload them anywhere, but simply place them in its own named backup directory, expecting DirectAdmin to back them up for transfer off the server.

How would DirectAdmin be expected to know the names of directories created by programs not a part of DirectAdmin, and even if knowing, what if anything, you did or didn't want backed up?

Should this be a feature request? I'm not sure I'd want to not back up the entire directory structure by default, but with a feature request we could determine if anyone else thinks this important.

I do know that both reseller backups and admin level backups should back these up, because otherwise the reseller or system admin couldn't rely on the backup system to be usable to move sites between accounts or servers.

Jeff

It seems odd to me that the DirectAdmin does not skip the application_backups folder. Since it came with Installatron installed. It does skip its own "backup" folder. Unfortunately at Installatron I can only chose for "My web host" or FTP/dropbox.

Hello,

If it's possible you'd better change backup folder in Installatron to tmp for example (/home/username/tmp/application_backups).

Here you can find a list of folders which are skipped from a DirectAdmin backup http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=281

@nobaloney
Installatron is integrated with DirectAdmin. So DirectAdmin is 100% sure it can exclude that application_backups folder, when installatron is present. I doubt anyone wants backups of backups of backups.

For now I found out that I can use FTP to temporarily place the Installatron backup inside the "Backup" folder. After that I move them back.

Hello,

If it's possible you'd better change backup folder in Installatron to tmp for example (/home/username/tmp/application_backups).

Here you can find a list of folders which are skipped from a DirectAdmin backup http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=281

I could not find a setting in the Installatron documentation.

Installatron is integrated with DirectAdmin. So DirectAdmin is 100% sure it can exclude that application_backups folder, when installatron is present.
Which is the probllem. Since Installatron has done the integration.

If the integration came from DirectAdmin then you'd expect them to know about the backups.

Are you suggesting that DirectAdmin should know about every possible plugin and where it might put it's backups?

Or are you suggesting that DirectAdmin should know about certain plugins only, and know where they keep their backups?

Or are you suggesting that DirectAdmin build a hook into it's plugin systems where plugins could let DirectAdmin know where to put their backups?

My suggestion would be that Installatron should, since they've created the plugin, know they're on a DirectAdmin machine, and place the backups where they know DirectAdmin won't copy them.

But I do believe that DirectAdmin should include them in both Reseller and Admin backups, so accounts can be completely moved to another machine.

Would you suggest one of the above, or something else entirely?

Jeff

I good suggestion would be something that Cpanel has.

If you don't want a certain directory to be included in the backup, you just make a file in your users root directory like this /home/username/cpbackup-exclude.conf and in this file you can specifiy directory's and/or files (each on a seperate line, several kinds of wildcards allowed) which you want to exclude from backup, for example application_backups or */core.[0-9][0-9] or /public_html/files or /private_html/stuff and so on.
This would also be a nice feature for the user level backup system for DA.

If you don't want a certain directory to be included in the backup, you just make a file in your users root directory like this /home/username/cpbackup-exclude.conf

I definetely positive that this feature to be added into Directadmin.

+1 sounds like a good feature indeed; for both admins for situations like the thread started; but also for users who may want to exclude big folders themselves without having to adjust to the default excluded paths.

Digging up an old thread but ... has this feature been implemented ?
I am not aware of it and it would indeed be very useful to us.

Code:
echo "application_backups" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/skip_backup_home_files.list
chown diradmin: /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/skip_backup_home_files.list

With this commands the application_backups folder will be skipped for all DA accounts.

Last edited:
Back