I've got the following weird situation.
My server has the IPv6 address: 2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::c01a
the domain from which a user sends email has the ipv6 2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::50
the domain neo-hippie.net has ip address: 2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::0

I've added this ip to directadmins ip management:
2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::69
and it says status = free and reseller = neohippie

server name is server.neo-hippie.net
I've setup an SPF record for the users domain: "v=spf1 a redirect=server.neo-hippie.net -all"

but now i get an error from another MTA saying: "2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::69 is not allowed to send mail from domainname"
i cannot understand why it's sending from the ipv6 ::69 address as it is not assigned.
i now have added an spf record as a temporary fix: "v=spf1 a ip6:2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::/64 -all redirect=server.neo-hippie.net"

the IPv6 ::69 is the last free ip address in the directadmin ip management list, i believe that's why it uses that ip.
but how can i force the use of the server ip or the ip from the outgoing domain.

Kind regards,
Arnold

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

few questions remain.

1# as i'm using a dual stack server with both ipv4 and ipv6, do i need to add both interfaces? or can exim only send through 1 of them!

2# Jeff states "it defaults to send all email on the main server IP", but it's clearly not doing that with ipv6. as it's using the last free ip even though the servers ip is next in the list.

another addition:
this behavior only occurs when sending to an IPv6 enabled MTA (like Gmail)

Hello,

1) For the id=152 guide, you'd specify the one IP that you send your email from.. usually the IPv4.
There are ways to use string expansion so you can control which IP is used based on things like the domain, eg:
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=36468&page=3&p=231599#post231599

just make sure the SPF values in your DNS TXT records matches the IP that you send with.

2) I'm not entirely sure why exim defaults to the IPv6 values sometimes..
You could try shutting off IPv6, although I'm not that's the option you'd want, eg:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]disable_ipv6=true
[/FONT][/COLOR]Which may still allow incoming IPv6 connections, but might disable all outbound IPv6 (double check that by testing)

John

Hi John,

thanks for you're reply.

i had found that forum topic you mentioned.
not really knowing if that was the way to go for me.

i think i'll stick to my temporarily fix with the spf record.
it seems to work now!

Code:
v=spf1 a ip4:95.211.xx.xx ip6:2001:xxxx:4300:xxxx:8::/64 -all redirect=server.neo-hippie.net

i'll try and investigate some more. but with lower priority.

Back