Domain Pointers not included in Backup/Restore

jkirker

Verified User
So I learned this morning that Domain Pointers are not included in the DA full back-up/restore.

I had about 800 domains loaded in that it looks like I've got to manually re-add.

Can anyone give me any insight into this?

Thanks,
John

Is there any way to back up the domain pointers?

So I learned this morning that Domain Pointers are not included in the DA full back-up/restore.

I had about 800 domains loaded in that it looks like I've got to manually re-add.

Can anyone give me any insight into this?

Thanks,
John

The last time I did a full backup/restore (about two years ago) DirectAdmin did include the domain pointers, so it must be a bug in recent versions. Please contact DirectAdmin support and tell them about the bug. Thanks.

Are you referring to Admin Reseller Level Backup/Restore? Or System Backup?

Jeff

They should be in the backup, and restored.

Check the contents of the backup to ensure they're present:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=359

only use step 1 to check the contents of the tar.gz.

The pointer data should be in:
backup/domain.com/domain.pointers

Also make sure the pointers are not already in the DNS/named.conf, or else DA will assume they're already on the system and won't restore them.

John

Hi,

I have the same issue with the newest version. domain.pointers is corectlly backed up and presented in backup file but it doesn't restore. Domain pointers after restore are always empty.

The post #5 says:

Also make sure the pointers are not already in the DNS/named.conf, or else DA will assume they're already on the system and won't restore them.

No they aren't in DNS (I have checked named dir),also after restore I can add them manually without problems, but auto restore seems to doesn't work

If anyone ever runs into this - and you are running a multi-server environment, make sure the domains which are being used as pointers do not have previously existing DNS records in the other servers. That was my issue. Case closed. ;)

Back