Upgrading mysql when not used by Custombuild?

webguy

Verified User
Hi all,

I have been asked to update a DA based server with a lot of outdated software. The server wasn't setup by me.
I can update most of the software elements with Custombuild. But when I check options.conf I see mysql isn't used from custombuild:

#Possible values - 5.0, 5.1
mysql=5.0
mysql_inst=no
mysql_backup=yes

As far as I can see there is a mysql running, version 5.0.51a-community MySQL Community Edition (GPL). The server hosts a lot of Joomla based websites that use mysql.

If I would activate mysql throug options.conf, can I then safely update mysql? Will it backup the databases and reload them after updating? Or should I backup the databases, upgrade mysql and then manually re-import all databases?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If I would activate mysql throug options.conf, can I then safely update mysql? Will it backup the databases and reload them after updating? Or should I backup the databases, upgrade mysql and then manually re-import all databases?

Yes, you can safely update it using CustomBuild, and it would automatically backup your mysql databases. However, MySQL 5.0 is end of life, and is not recommended to use.

Hello,

Just a note, when you install directadmin with a setup.sh script, at the end you would get the same situation. I mean if you install MySQL with setup.sh script of directadmin in options.conf you may still see mysql_inst=no. And that does not always denote that MySQL is installed by other means. Regarding MySQL upgrade yes, that's OK and safe to use CustomBuild to update it.

I can update most of the software elements with Custombuild. But when I check options.conf I see mysql isn't used from custombuild:

#Possible values - 5.0, 5.1
mysql=5.0
mysql_inst=no
mysql_backup=yes

Back