cron /bin/sh: /home/admin/mailserverstatus.sh: Permission denied

WebbedIT

Verified User
Hi,

Over the weekend I had some SPAM issues after stupidly creating a test email address with a weak password on the server, which then got compromised.

I've resolved that issue but had a page worth of emails left in the mail queue with the following issues when trying to resend:

2014-10-10 14:05:07 [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
2014-10-11 10:49:50 Remote host mx-c1.talktalk.net [62.24.202.3] closed connection in response to initial connection​

I read that this may be due to exim's retry and wit-remote_smtp files being corrupt, so deleted the 4 files in /var/spool/exim/db and restarted exim.

This did not solve my issue and now every 5 mins a cronjob is trying to run, failing and then adding an undeliverable message in the mail queue. The cronjob in question is:

*/5 * * * * /home/username/mailserverstatus.sh​

My questions:

• Should this cronjob be running?
  • If so, why would it suddenly start failing with permission denied?
  • If not, do I just cancel the cronjob?
  • I've tried to manually run this sh file and get: "mailserverstatus.sh: line 2: [: average:: integer expression expected"
  • Why, when the cronjob fails with the permission error, is it creating a mail to root@ which can't be delivered?
Thanks,

Paul.

Hello,

• Should this cronjob be running?
  • If so, why would it suddenly start failing with permission denied?

Code:
chmod 755 /home/username/mailserverstatus.sh
to run the script.

Anyone got any ideas how I clear this block?

Code:
cd /var/spool/exim/db
rm retry retry.lockfile wait-remote_smtp wait-remote_smtp.lockfile
/etc/init.d/exim restart

Check your IP reputation and refer to blocklists for details on how to remove your IPs from their blocklists.

Back