php-fpm53 issues with new install

VisiGod

Verified User
So I'm installing a new server with CentOS 7 (CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core)) and after a minimal install, along with the necessary packages and the DA setup script, I'm getting issues with php.

I've opted to install apache with php-fpm 5.3 but it seems that the php process continues to dies every minute or so.

The is the error when I try to start the php-fpm53 service:
Code:
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start  php-fpm53.service

Job for php-fpm53.service failed. See 'systemctl status php-fpm53.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
[root@host html]# 
[root@host html]# systemctl status php-fpm53.service -l
php-fpm53.service - The PHP FastCGI Process Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/php-fpm53.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Wed 2014-11-19 21:54:04 WET; 14s ago
 Main PID: 1091

Nov 19 21:52:34 host.tld.com php-fpm53[1091]: [19-Nov-2014 21:52:34] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 1091
Nov 19 21:52:34 host.tld.com php-fpm53[1091]: [19-Nov-2014 21:52:34] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
Nov 19 21:54:04 host.tld.com systemd[1]: php-fpm53.service operation timed out. Terminating.
Nov 19 21:54:04 host.tld.com php-fpm53[1091]: [19-Nov-2014 21:54:04] NOTICE: Terminating ...
Nov 19 21:54:04 host.tld.com php-fpm53[1091]: [19-Nov-2014 21:54:04] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
Nov 19 21:54:04 host.tld.com systemd[1]: Failed to start The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.
Nov 19 21:54:04 host.tld.com systemd[1]: Unit php-fpm53.service entered failed state.

and on /var/log/messages I have the following:

Code:
Nov 19 21:54:04 host systemd: php-fpm53.service operation timed out. Terminating.
Nov 19 21:54:04 host php-fpm53: [19-Nov-2014 21:54:04] NOTICE: Terminating ...
Nov 19 21:54:04 host php-fpm53: [19-Nov-2014 21:54:04] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
Nov 19 21:54:04 host systemd: Failed to start The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.
Nov 19 21:54:04 host systemd: Unit php-fpm53.service entered failed state.

Here are also my options.conf
Code:
#PHP Settings
php1_release=5.3
php1_mode=php-fpm
php2_release=no
php2_mode=php-fpm
opcache=no
htscanner=no
php_ini=no
php_timezone=Europe/Lisbon
php_ini_type=production
ioncube=yes
zend=yes
suhosin=no
x_mail_header=yes

#MySQL Settings
mysql=5.5
mysql_inst=mariadb
mysql_backup=yes
mysql_backup_dir=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
mysql_force_compile=no

#WEB Server Settings
webserver=apache
modsecurity=no
modsecurity_rules=
apache_ver=2.4
apache_mpm=auto
mod_ruid2=no
harden_symlinks_patch=yes
use_hostname_for_alias=no
redirect_host=host.tld.com
redirect_host_https=no

#WEB Applications Settings
phpmyadmin=yes
phpmyadmin_ver=4
squirrelmail=yes
roundcube=yes
webapps_inbox_prefix=no

#ClamAV-related Settings
clamav=no
clamav_exim=yes
proftpd_uploadscan=no
pureftpd_uploadscan=no
suhosin_php_uploadscan=no

#Mail Settings
exim=yes
eximconf=no
eximconf_release=2.1
blockcracking=no
easy_spam_fighter=no
spamassassin=no
dovecot=yes
dovecot_conf=no
pigeonhole=no

#FTP Settings
ftpd=proftpd

#Statistics Settings
awstats=no
webalizer=yes

#CustomBuild Settings
custombuild=2.0
autover=no
bold=yes
clean=yes
cleanapache=yes
clean_old_tarballs=yes
clean_old_webapps=yes
downloadserver=files6.directadmin.com

#Cronjob Settings
cron=no
cron_frequency=weekly
[email protected]
notifications=yes
da_autoupdate=no
updates=no
webapps_updates=yes

#CloudLinux Settings
cloudlinux=no
cagefs=no

#Advanced Settings
autoconf=yes
automake=yes
libtool=yes
curl=no
new_pcre=no

modsecurity_ruleset=comodo

So if anyone has any idea or can lend any help or suggestion I would appreciate.

This is my first DA install with CentOS 7 and the server will be used in a production environment so I would also like to know if DA is already stable enough with CentOS 7 or if I should stick with CentOS 6.x for now.

Thanks in advance for any help

It might be a bug of PHP 5.3, I could check it on your system free of charge. I'd give PHP 5.4 a try in your case if you'd like to use PHP-FPM. About the stability: yes, DA runs stable on CentOS 7 (even though it's still marked as BETA), it's just the PHP 5.3, which is end-of-life, that might have problems in your case.

It might be a bug of PHP 5.3, I could check it on your system free of charge. I'd give PHP 5.4 a try in your case if you'd like to use PHP-FPM. About the stability: yes, DA runs stable on CentOS 7 (even though it's still marked as BETA), it's just the PHP 5.3, which is end-of-life, that might have problems in your case.

Thanks Martynas. I'll give it a try with PHP 5.4 and will report back... If that still fails we will talk again :)

I had the same issue on one of our CentOS 7 servers. The problem is that the php-fpm53 process doesn't return a signal to systemd when it is done starting, so systemd thinks it didn't start properly and kills the process after a minute and a half.
To solve it you have to change Type=notify to Type=simple in /etc/systemd/system/php-fpm53.service and then restart the service:
Code:
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart php-fpm53

I had the same issue on one of our CentOS 7 servers. The problem is that the php-fpm53 process doesn't return a signal to systemd when it is done starting, so systemd thinks it didn't start properly and kills the process after a minute and a half.
To solve it you have to change Type=notify to Type=simple in /etc/systemd/system/php-fpm53.service and then restart the service:
Code:
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart php-fpm53

Could it be that this is still an issue in the current version of DA and custombuild?
This post solved the problem on a new install with php-pfm71 running but getting a failed status

Maybe this can be setup in de defaults of custombuild

@flexjoly, what OS har you running? I have not seen this problem on any of my CentOS 7 servers. They are running PHP 7.0.x

@ditto

Thanks for your reply.

Our centos version is:
centos-release-7-4.1708.el7.centos.x86_64

with:
DirectAdmin 1.52.1
Php 7.1.10
Apache 2.4.29
Nginx 1.13.6
Custombuild with plugin: 2.0.0 (rev: 1738)

Back