501 Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)

Jason.Kenyon

Verified User
When trying to send a email using roundcube or squirrelmail I will get the following error at times;

Code:
ERROR:
Message not sent. Server replied:

Syntax error in parameters or arguments
    501 Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)

If I keep trying to send the email, it will go with out any errors. I'm not to sure what would be the issue there. Any ideas?

Hello,

You probably need to set your hostname to something meaningful. Roundcube uses hostname in certain cases for HELO.

Related: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=405

Hi thanks for us reply that information has been set and all configured. I have deleted it and retried to set it up again. As it was from a backup I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it? Before backing up and restoring everything worked fine when I restored that's when the issues started. Thanks so much for your reply.

Sorry, was giving it a bit of tme to update. It still is giving me the same error message.

I access it via domain.com/webmail, I can also do it by the hostname (alice.jnclix.com/webmail) I will check on the log there, currently at a location I don't have access to the server via ssh.

update.

Okay I did it from directadmin panel. Here is the error; happens when using alice.jnclix.com also

rejected EHLO from localhost [127.0.0.1]: syntactically invalid argument(s): jnclix.com, jnclix.com
rejected HELO from localhost [127.0.0.1]: syntactically invalid argument(s): jnclix.com, jnclix.com

if using hostname error is;
rejected EHLO from localhost [127.0.0.1]: syntactically invalid argument(s): alice.jnclix.com, alice.jnclix.com
rejected HELO from localhost [127.0.0.1]: syntactically invalid argument(s): alice.jnclix.com, alice.jnclix.com

Last edited:
I wonder, why is "jnclix.com, jnclix.com" sent with HELO/EHLO on your server.
What webserver do you run: apache, nginx, or both nginx+apache?
What do you with

PHP:
<?php
var_dump($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);

in a browser?

Running apache+nginx and that code snippet returns jnclix.com

Http://jnclix.com/server.php

Not sure if that is what is causing the error but doesn't that function just call the name of the vhost if there's a vhost and not the actual server name?

I wonder, why is "jnclix.com, jnclix.com" sent with HELO/EHLO on your server.
What webserver do you run: apache, nginx, or both nginx+apache?
What do you with

PHP:
<?php
var_dump($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);

in a browser?

Last edited:
I just did the custom build and rebuilt apache only so the server is now running just apache and I'm not seeming to get the errors I was with the nginx+apache build. Any ideas?

Do you have an origina config file in Roundcube? Or a custom version? The same question for squirrelmail ?

Originals on both, unless custom build did some things with it. Other then that I have never really touched them. It seems that rebuilding with just apache has fixed a few other things also, I was having some issues where clients were reporting 404 pages, on subdomains/folders. But if they refreshed the page it would take a few tries at times, but it would bring the proper page up.

Everything that was done to the server has basically been done with CustomBuild 2.0, other then a few tweaks here and there in the php.ini I haven't touched any other files.

***Update*** I have reverted back to using the nginx_apache set up. So far I'm not getting any errors, and will monitor for the next 24-48 hours and post back. So it is looking like a configuration error some where, but the question is where and what happened.

Last edited:
Back