Migrate to new server but keep old ip?

ditto

Verified User
Have anybody succesfully migrated from an old DirectAdmin server to an new DirectAdmin server without changing the server ip?

I have migrated server to server before using Admin/backup transfer, however I have always used a new ip on the new server.

Now I am trying to figure out if I will be able to do this without chaning the ip. The datacenter is willing to let me keep the old ip and use it on the new server. However it is not clear to me what procedure to use to make a migrate to new server with the same ip not cause a lot of problems.

So I am thankful for any input from your experience with migrating to new server, but not change the server ip. Also it is needed for me to not change the server hostname, that is not a problem if I migrate to new server ip, but I am not sure if it will cause problem keeping server hostname if I don't change the server ip.

This is shared hosting server that need to be migrated, by the way.

Maybe it will be to complicated to keep the old ip on the new server ...

When you restore from a backup in DA you can select to use the IP that is assigned to the server. Otherwise, you can select the option to use IP that is stored in the backup.

I recommend using the DA backup tool to backup and migrate - I have done it many times in the past with no issues.

Of course I use the DA backup tool, I have also used it many times before. But to keep the existing server ip on the new server, require a lot more work then just "select the option to use IP that is stored in the backup". Two servers can not work properly at the same time with the same ip. That is why I was asking for input. I think it will be very complicated. So I just might not do it, and just use a new ip.

You're quite correct there ditto. If you have 2 working servers on a net with the same ip, you will have an ip conflict, that's never good.
You could however still do it with one ip, if you place the backup temporarily on a nas or another server. Or some other way for example a temporary new ip. Then first shutdown the old server, start the new server, set it to the old ip and the do the restore.

I don't know what you're possibility's are for the idea's I mentioned. It might indeed be safer and quicker to just use a new ip.
Or restore to a new ip, and after that do an ip change to the old ip.

Hello,

Do you have an internal IP on your servers? Probably your DC allows to have an IP from:

Code:
     10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

to connect several servers in a private network. So you could use them to move backups from an old server to a new while your public IP will be configured on your new server.

Or maybe you have two or more public IPs?

Back