user-email-limit somehow leaks too many..

Duboux

Verified User
I received a list of spam-data from hotmail...
And it said a user on my server has sent 109 emails.
While I set a user-limit of 15.

How is this possible and more importantly, what do I have to do to fix this ?

It is always possible that someone has some malware installed on your server that talks SMTP directly to the remote servers to send spam, therefore bypassing exim and the user-limits.

How is this possible and more importantly, what do I have to do to fix this ?

Did you see your server IP in email headers? Did the spam originate from your server? Or only domain from your server is specified in a "From" field?

Interesting thread, toml is there any way to disable any other way to send mails without exim?

It isn't that easy in linux to say only allow exim to connect to outgoing port 25, which is pretty much what you are looking for. You don't want to block it or all of your email will stop working. Best bet is to harden your system to prevent others from being able to do this at all. Also zEitEr does have a good point about making sure your server was the one that sent the spam, look at the headers and match the IP address to your server. It is possible that anyone could have just changed the "From:" header to match an email address that is hosted on your server. I see it all the time, and the first thing I do is look at the header to make sure that it didn't come from my server.

Do a search here to find the tips for hardening your server, like mounting /tmp with noexec, and perhaps disabling certain functions in php that could be used to create these connections. Of course disabling some of those functions in php (like the socket functions) could potentially break a customers script.

Back