Databases gone, not in backup

HostingGrounds

Verified User
Hi there,

I have a big problem. Yesterday, my server was rebooten because of a power outage.
Normaly, that isn't a problem, but now my mysql server has crashed I think.

When I tried to start it, it said: "MySQL is allready running".
I fixed that problem, so I thought everything was fixed.

I tried to build mysql again to fix it, with ./build mysql d

But, all the databases are now gone!
I tried to restore the admin backup for myself and a few other client, but I cannot find them in the backup data?
The backup doesn't store the mysql files??

Can someone please help me with this?

Hello,

Both admin and system backups allow admin to choose what to put into a backup. If you don't see mysql dumps or raw data in them, then probably you configured your backups to skip MySQL tables.

To make sure check /home/admin/admin_backups /home/backups or /backups, and /usr/local/directadmin/mysql_backups.

If you need a private help, I'm available for this kind of a job.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I checked the backup setttings in my admin panel, and it is on "all data".
This means, also backup the databases (all checkboxes are selected).

The directory "/home/admin/admin_backups" is filled with *.tar.gz files, the backups i presume.
The directory "/home/backups" does not exists.
The directory "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups" contains MySQL backups from december last year!

When I unpack a random .tar.gz file from a customer, I cannot find a backup of the databases.

Why does DirectAdmin not backup my databases (any more)?

Did you get any errors from backup system? Read directadmin logs in /var/log/directadmin/

By the way did you check backup/ directory in a user backup? What you see there?

What if you try to start a backup in directadmin of a single account manually without cron? Will it have MySQL db?

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for your help.

When I check the user "backups/" directory, it is empy or for some users it doesn't even exists.
I only create admin backups, no user backup individuality.

Breakthough! When I created a admin backup manualy of a user, untarred the backup and quess what I saw?
The database backup, nice in a .sql file!

BUT! When I checked another automatic backup from yesterday from another user, the database is in there aswell!
So... All the databases were gone, some I restored, some not. So I had a "clean" mysql databases.

The automatic backups from yesterday, DO include the database backup which I restored, and a ".dump.log" file now.
Where did this go wrong... I don't know when this went wrong actualy, so I cannot find any errors in my logs.

Last edited:
Try to check, fix, repair tables, probably some of them are crashed. It's just a guess.

No, all the other databases before the crash are gone from the MySQL server.
I only restored some of the databases from the lastest (good) backup from last december.

The "show databases;" command only shows the ones I restored. The rest is gone.

If you don't see the DBs with "show databases;", then it is no doubt they miss from backups. Or I understand something wrong?

Well, the databases got deleted somehow before the backup I guess...
What made the databases disappear in the first place...

I don't really see a solution to this, so I'm affraid I have to start all over again width the databases...

Back