DA on Ubuntu 14.04 (Debian 8.0)

alia

Verified User
Hi,

This is my first report about some DA issues on Ubuntu 14.04 (Debian 8).
If you need any information or want me to post some logs, please let me know.

I installed DA (1.48) on fresh installed Ubuntu 14.04
I choose CustomBuild, option 4.

After the installation was done, I noticed that the port (2222) isn't responding.
I didn't notice any errors during the installation, but could be that I missed them when it was compiling? Not sure if there is a log that I can check?

Code:
# ps aux | grep -i directadmin                                                                                                                                       
root      3837  0.0  0.0  11740   952 pts/2    S+   20:42   0:00 grep --color=auto -i directadmin                                                                                  
root     15028  0.0  0.0   1776   312 ?        Ss   14:42   0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/da-popb4smtp

So I started directadmin with: /etc/init.d/directadmin start
Now the port responds.

After logging in, I found some tickets telling me:
The service 'directadmin' on server serverABC is currently down (I fixed this one by starting it)
The service 'exim' on server serverABC is currently down
The service 'httpd' on server serverABC is currently down

Not sure why these services are down? Which log can tell me more about that?

And when I try to make a database, I see this error
Code:
Error connecting to MySQL: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/local/mysql/data/mysql.sock' (2)
My mysql.sock file is inside /tmp
Code:
# ls -l /tmp/mysql.sock 
srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 May 12 14:42 /tmp/mysql.sock

I already found this: http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=51348
But I don't have all these services in the /etc/systemd/, I only have:
Code:
# ls -l /etc/systemd/system/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 12 14:39 multi-user.target.wants
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 12 14:35 sockets.target.wants
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   31 May 12 14:36 sshd.service -> /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   35 May 12 14:26 syslog.service -> /lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service

I could fix it, by modifying the socket-var /etc/my.cnf.
The problem is, if I change it to /usr/local/mysql/data/mysql.sock, other services will try to use /tmp/mysql.sock instead.
So not sure how to fix it for DA and all other services

If something isn't clear, please let me know

I think you don't have Debian 8.0 OS set in your DA license, do you?

No, my license is set on "Jessie - Alpha"

Code:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

Code:
$ cat /etc/debian_version 
jessie/sid

Please let us know the output of:
Code:
ls -l /bin/systemctl
ls -l /usr/bin/systemctl
whereis systemctl
ls -l [COLOR=#000000]/usr/libexec | wc -l
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin o
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build version
[/COLOR]

Code:
# ls -l /bin/systemctl
ls: cannot access /bin/systemctl: No such file or directory
# ls -l /usr/bin/systemctl
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/systemctl: No such file or directory
# whereis systemctl
systemctl:
# ls -l /usr/libexec | wc -l
# /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin o
Compiled on 'Debian 8.0 64-bit'
Compile time: May  3 2015 at 03:49:30
Compiled with IPv6
# /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build version
2.0.0 (rev: 1355)

Hello,

Hmm.. not sure if that will work. The Debian 8 binaries are hard-coded for systemd.
My only suggestion at the moment would be to see if the Debian 7 binaries work (set in your /clients section, and re-download).

Else upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04+, as it natively supports systemd, just like Debian 8.

John

Hi John,

The only reason I didn't update to 15.04, because it's not LTS.

Going to give it a try, will let you know if it works.

Ali

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu 15.04 and no errors occured anymore.
The only problem is, the da_admin user isn't set correctly?

When I try to restore a backup, I see:
Code:
Error suspending the account: Error connecting to MySQL: Access denied for user 'da_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
<b>Repair guide: <a target=_blank href='http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45'>http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45</a></b>
Unable to connect to the database

If i go to that URL, it tells me to do /etc/init.d/mysqld stop, but I don't have a mysqld service in init.d
Another thing is, I don't know the root password (only da_admin, which I can find in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf)

How to fix this issue?

Ali

Options

Hello,

Hmm.. not sure if that will work. The Debian 8 binaries are hard-coded for systemd.
My only suggestion at the moment would be to see if the Debian 7 binaries work (set in your /clients section, and re-download).

Else upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04+, as it natively supports systemd, just like Debian 8.

John

So using 14.04 is going to remain unsupported? This install is for a server hosting multiple domains. If the most recent LTS version is going to be unsupported, I must look for an alternate solution.

Ubuntu 15.04 EOL is February 4, 2016 and Ubuntu 15.10 is July 23, 2015. 16.04 LTS is not set for release until April 2016. Will there be an upgrade path for DirectAdmin to update across a major version of the OS or will it require a new install and migration?

Help!

I was hoping that I could find some clear direction here... I am in the middle of a migration and reality and the documentation do not line up

I'm in the process right now of installing 16.04. I'll report back how it goes, assuming I get it working...

Back