Bounce mail for suspended email accounts.

ssgill

Verified User
Hello all, i have few email accounts that are suspended, they are old accounts and kept just for references. According to this feature http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1233 all it does is block sending/viewing of email but account can still receive mail.

There is option of changing the account to something else, but is there another way so that accounts suspended do not receive any mail and "Mail Delivery failed" message is send back to sender.

Thanks

I realise this is an old thread, but I had exactly the same problem. I have been able to fix it with a forward to :fail: (thank you zEitEr for that suggestion), but I found this quite counter-intuitive!

I have suspended mail accounts in the past when collaborators no longer work with us. The reason I suspend rather than delete is because I want to keep their mailbox as a "read-only" thing, just in case we might need business information contained in the future. But I only found out today that people could still email to that address and not even get a "failure notice" back! You understand of course that in this scenario, this is unexpected, and a "failure notice" would have made sense.

Perhaps it should be a temporary error rather than a permanent error, then that would fit better in the philosophy of this feature, but in any case the sender should be made aware that their email is not being read for at least a while.

Where do I go to suggest this as a change, if not here?

Back