Server configuration suggestions

Nexxterra.com

Verified User
I am migrating my 2007 DA servers in order to rebuild the machines and move things back.
The current DA is a very basic install, with all clients in under admin.
The new servers will be:
- supermicro w/6 sata drives 5 raid 5 and number 6 used for backup of files
- server will be virtualized using KVM with 1 VPS taking up the total available space on the raid partition
What I want:
1- to have my admin section just for my whmcs, and other management items
2- all other users under a second reseller (clients that are resellers can be under admin still)
3- great email system with spam filtering and controls that stop outgoing spam
4- maldet and anything else that can make hosting wordpress sites easier...(I hate WP, it has been the source of most of my server work)

? What do you see wrong with the above if anything?
? what additional items do you suggest?
Thanks for any input!
Paul

1.) Good idea.
2.) You can also create a second admin account. Since transferring everything will overwrite your new admin account, it might be wise to create a second admin account on the old server, and move all users under that account. This way you don't have to also transfer the root admin if everything is ok.
3.) The current system is OK, exim with the spamblocker 4 configuration and in addition RBL's, maybe you can install spamassassin and create a free account with barracudacentral.
4.) Don't forget CSF/LFD as a firewall.

(I hate WP, it has been the source of most of my server work)
It's not WP it's your customers. Same problem goes for Joomla which has the same issue. Your customers should have their installations up to date and take a bit care which addons they install.
Problem is most customers don't have a clue and just install what they like. You will have the same issue with other CMS systems. The more popular they get, the more work they will give you.
Best is once a while to send your customers some advise on working with Wordpress.

It's not WP it's your customers...YUP!
I keep getting people sending me email to offer mu clients a 3rd party back up solution...They have this in their account and how many customers actually use it?
I have Installatron and I have it set to update all scripts as they come available as well as plug ins and themes. But a few turn this off (some updates can brake custom themes)

Next to that, Installatron does only look at the WP installations, not at the themes and addons which they can install. And unfortunately, a WP installation (just as Joomla) is mostly compromised by security holes in addons and themes or malicious ones.
A hosters life is a bitch sometimes. ;)

Next to that, Installatron does only look at the WP installations, not at the themes and addons which they can install. And unfortunately, a WP installation (just as Joomla) is mostly compromised by security holes in addons and themes or malicious ones.
A hosters life is a bitch sometimes. ;)

Richard,

I think you should take a look at installaron again :)
It is able to update plugins and templates since an update (don't know how long ago, but certainly several months).

Paul,

On your server setup. Do you keep multiple backup files / user on that 6th hard drive?
Do you keep a backup on multiple servers, or only on that 6th drive in the server where the user is running on?
What happens when that 6th drive fails, and you need to restore a backup, or a backup from a couple days earlier?
Personally, I don't even like having backups only at the same datacenter as the client's DA server is based. Preferrably even not the same company that's housing the server.

Altough, not everything applies to you, since it seems that you also have access to the datacenter itself (you also provide dedicated server hosting).

regards,
Stijn

Heej Stijn, alles kits?

Ah I see it, that's a beta feature for the moment. However, as far as I can see it looks at installatron plugins, I doubt if it will also check 3rd party plugins/addons or plugins/addons installed via FTP and if it will check themes too.
But it's good that installatron have added this feature, thanks for pointing it out!
However this has to be done via commandline as far as I can see. So we will be waiting using this until it's out of beta and viewable and accessible via the menustructure if possible.

Last edited:
Heej Stijn, alles kits?

Ah I see it, that's a beta feature for the moment. However, as far as I can see it looks at installatron plugins, I doubt if it will also check 3rd party plugins/addons or plugins/addons installed via FTP and if it will check themes too.
But it's good that installatron have added this feature, thanks for pointing it out!
However this has to be done via commandline as far as I can see. So we will be waiting using this until it's out of beta and viewable and accessible via the menustructure if possible.

Hi,

I just looked. i'm on the "Edge" release cycle for Installatron (Release Candidate, but never had any problems with that).
And everything is configurable through the web interface.
wordpress updates.PNG

And it works with both plugins installed through wordpress online, or through ftp (if they have an online update that works with the wordpress updater).
But I think we are going a little off topic here :)

@Kiekeboe100: Thank you, I will have a look again, great!

@Nexxterra, sorry for the temp topic steal, but maybe you can benefit from this too, might make work easier for you.

Back