System Backup ignoring settings

TomJones

Verified User
I am trying to use the System Backup feature in the Admin panel, several of my users are > 10gigs in size, I don't want to archive them. I uncheck "Add user home directories to directory list below" and do not check their home directories in the list at the bottom, but they still get created (which is taking forever). I'm just going to delete the tar.gz for them once the process completes, but I wanted to point this bug/error/problem out.

This happens to me too. With 'Add user home directories to directory list' unchecked, they all get backed up to custom/home anyway. Is this a bug?

Or… is that supposed to be a one-time option to add the home directories to the Directories tab? If that's the case, I'd say it's a rare case of very poor UI design in DA.

The whole System Backup UI could use some work IMO. Another example is the Directories tab. If you don't tick any of the directories, but 'Custom Directories & Files' is ticked in the Basic Configuration tab, do they all get backed up or none of them? (It seems to be all of them.) What if 'Custom Directories & Files' is not ticked—does the Directories tab have any effect? If you tick a directory and hit the 'Delete' button, is it going to delete the actual directory? :oops: (Presumably not, since this is a backup tool and not a file manager! I'll assume it just removes it from the list. Nonetheless, it's a terrible choice of words, making it a slightly scary proposition!)

Last edited:
This seems to be a bug… After manually deleting all the user home directories from the Directories tab, if I make any other changes and hit Save, all the directories get added again (even though I haven't touched the 'Add user home directories to directory list' since making changes).

Back