Limit hosting accounts by visits per month / monthly visitors?

Would you like to see the feature of limiting visitors per month?

• Total voters

jkirker

Verified User
A lot of hosters have moved to "unlimited bandwidth" and are now limiting by monthly visits or monthly pageviews.

IE: WPEngine with 25k visits/mo with their basic account up to 400k visits/mo for $250...
IE: WebSynthesis offers 10,000 to 300,000 pageviews per day depending on the package.

Is there any way to do this with DA?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes, you may parse logs, but there isn't ready solution for that. DIY :) One provider in Poland did that.

I have the same question few days ago, when I see hostgator, offer wordpress base on monthly visitors, 100k, 200k.. etc

and I think if is possible read the number in monthly Totals Pages in the WEBALIZER for each domain, and block the domain if the average of the last 3 month is more that 100k for example

I will be a good feature in DA have this, alot of hosting company offers hosting base on the monthly visitors.

bye

Last edited:
I don't think this is a good idea, because with all the bruteforce attacks on wp-login.php and xmlrpc.php etc, it would be impossible to distinguish legitime vitits from bruteforce attacks and other spam bots, search engines etc - so a limit could be reached very quick. Also many of the bruteforce attacks comes from botnets with tens of thousands of different ip addresses, so they would all be counted as unique visits.

Last edited:
Hello,

Probably I don't understand something, but if I choose a hosting company I'd prefer unlimited requests. Why would I need to care of number of requests? And why would a site owner care of requests? I don't know how many Google bots do requests to my sites, and I'd rather not worry of a possibility to be blocked because of different bots. And different scanners and bots which try to exploit a site...

I don't see how can directadmin users gain from this feature. What do we need to limit requests for? Aren't hosting companies limiting requests to sites in order to reserver rights to block accounts in case of brute-force attacks? DDoS attacks? Or is it a way to make an user to buy a more expensive plan?

Of course it's only my opinion.

wpengine for example says this:
We take the number of unique IP addresses from non-bot visitors seen in a 24-hour period as the number of “visits” to the site during that period. The number of “visits” in a given month is the sum of those daily visits during that month.

This is just a way too specific feature, if you as a company want to go with this model you're going to have to code this yourself. Not speaking for DA of course but knowing which features have come in DA by request or by their own initiative over the past years, this just doesn't fit in, but that's me.

If you want to do it like that quote, a way is that you parse the apache logs and gather the unique IP addresses. Filter out the bots by either known IP blocks and user agents.

Back