DirectAdmin 1.50.0 has been released

Should port 443 be open on apache when requesting letsencrypt.sh?

Let's encrypt uses port 80 for domain verification. However, outgoing port 443 must be open in your firewall, otherwise let's encrypt script won't be able to connect to the API.

Strange isnt it ? :)

so i have to add www.srv1 A record to my DNS ?

Why is it strange? DA always created these records for hostname. Please check:
Code:
cat /var/named/[B]your.hostname.com.db[/B]

There you should see all the records, unless you removed the zone manually. The problem is that you're using an external DNS server, and you don't have an identical zone file there.

Why is it strange? DA always created these records for hostname. Please check:
Code:
cat /var/named/[B]your.hostname.com.db[/B]

There you should see all the records, unless you removed the zone manually. The problem is that you're using an external DNS server, and you don't have an identical zone file there.

Its fixed now and the certificate is installed, but this one will not get auto-renewed i assume
Is it possible to automate this by cron ? if yes could you give some example how to do that ?

Thank for your time and great product :)

Let's encrypt uses port 80 for domain verification. However, outgoing port 443 must be open in your firewall, otherwise let's encrypt script won't be able to connect to the API.

Code:
root@server:~# netstat -tulpn | grep :443
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:443           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
tcp        0      0 181.xx.278.xx:443      0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
tcp6       0      0 ::1:443                 :::*                    LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
Apache listens to 8081 instead of 443 (using nginx_apache). Could this be the reason why I can't connect with the letsencrypt API?

Its fixed now and the certificate is installed, but this one will not get auto-renewed i assume
Is it possible to automate this by cron ? if yes could you give some example how to do that ?

Thank for your time and great product :)

It will auto-renew :) If you'd like to test it, change /usr/local/directadmin/conf/ca.creation_time to an old time (timestamp) and run:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin
echo "action=rewrite&value=letsencrypt" >> data/task.queue;  ./dataskq d2000

Code:
root@server:~# netstat -tulpn | grep :443
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:443           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
tcp        0      0 181.xx.278.xx:443      0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
tcp6       0      0 ::1:443                 :::*                    LISTEN      1854/nginx.conf
Apache listens to 8081 instead of 443 (using nginx_apache). Could this be the reason why I can't connect with the letsencrypt API?

No, it cannot be the reason :) Let's encrypt doesn't depend on the WWW server type (nginx/apache/litespeed). If you run modsecurity together with nginx_apache, please try turning it off, we've received several reports (not confirmed yet) about modsecurity causing issues with let's encrypt.

Disabling modsecurity definitely helped with the "Cannot connect" error!

I got a another error now about /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/USERNAME/domains/DOMAIN.com.csr not existing
Code:
Error unmarshaling certificate request

It might not like the contents of CSR. Please make sure you choose SHA256 and not SHA1 as Certificate Type and a key size of 4096 bits (defaults).

This is the complete error I'm getting with SHA256 and 4096 bits
Code:
e is 65537 (0x10001)
problems making Certificate Request
140277613172368:error:0D07A098:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_mbstring_ncopy:string too short:a_mbstr.c:147:minsize=1
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/USER/domains/example.com.csr: No such file or directory
140363474167440:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:398:fopen('/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/USER/domains/example.com.csr','r')
140363474167440:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:400:
Size of certificate response is smaller than 500 characters, it means something went wrong. Printing response...
"detail":"Error unmarshaling certificate request"

I randomly tried "example.com" instead of "www.example.com" as common name and my certificate got created! I'm not sure if it makes any sense?

Thanks for the help! I hope I also provided some useful feedback to the DA team or any reader who stumbled upon similar problems.

Wow, the "Direct ~/imap backup without copy" is really amazing. On SSD servers where we backup to old fashioned HDD resulting in a ~170GB of admin backup files it used to take 18 hours to complete. Now with this new feature it took just 3,5 hours!

I used Lets Encrypt with a couple of website now, everything is working perfectly. Suggestion is to make the letsencrypt request a ajax or background method. It did take about 20-25 seconds to process and some people cannot wait patiently. Or make a notification to wait a few moments till the process is completed. :)

Also a nice functionality is to check which users currently have a SSL certificate, something like All Users Cron Jobs but for SSL.

Last edited:
I had to set letsencrypt=2, with 1 it would not work.

Is it possible to request a SSL certificate for my subdomains?

not sure if this has been answered, but yes, you can issue ssl for your subdomain, the only condition is that you have to add your subdomain using "add a domain" (domain management) you can't create your subdomain using the subdomain management.

As a workaround for the 'invalid challenge' we're currently using the following:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s 66.133.109.36 -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080

With this rule the LetsEncrypt validation server will skip nginx+mod_security and directly go to apache :)

Make sure you don't have anything like the following in your custom templates, because it'd return 403 error then:
Code:
location ~ /\. { deny  all; }

You get 404, so I think it's still related to the alias thing :) (I can check it directly on your sever if you'd like me to)

I indeed first got 403's because of the line you mention, which is recommended by WordPress to use. After I temporary disabled that, they turned into 404's. Haven't had the time yet to troubleshoot further, but it has to be WordPress-related. Other sites that aren't WordPress got new certs just fine.

Static vs Dynamic:

Dynamic: DA links to the libraries that you have on your system. This means you can update those libraries and DA would automatically use them after you restart it.
Downside is that if the version of a linked library is too vastly different, DA may not be able to read it and won't be able to start up. Bonus is also smaller DA binaries.

Static: All libraries that DA needs are stored right inside the binaries themselves. Things like MySQL can be handy to keep internally in DA, so you can change anything you want with the MySQL client libraries on your system, and DA doesn't need to worry about it. Some issues can arise if your kernel is different, and DA's statically loaded libraries "assume" they'll be talking with the kernel based on our build system, but your OS may have slight variances preventing the binaries from running.

So there are pros and cons to both, but the majority of the DA binaries are dynamic, as things tend to stay fairly consistent within a major OS release. But with had to do some MySQL update tricker back when the libmysqlclient.so files went from libmysqlclient.so.16 to libmysqlcient.so.18, as DA was compiled against 16, but if MySQL client was updated on a box, it would install 18 and DA wouldn't be able to start, so the trickery involves keeping a 16 instance on standby beside 18, so DA can link to it directly.

John

Getting challenge for klompenfabriek.nl from acme-server...
Waiting for domain verification...
Challenge is valid.
Getting challenge for www.klompenfabriek.nl from acme-server...
Waiting for domain verification...
Challenge is valid.
Generating 4096 bit RSA key for klompenfabriek.nl...
openssl genrsa 4096 > "/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/klompenfab/domains/klompenfabriek.nl.key.new"
Generating RSA private key, 4096 bit long modulus
......................................................++
............++
e is 65537 (0x10001)
Certificate for klompenfabriek.nl has been created successfully!
Seems good, right?
But visiting https://www.klompenfabriek.nl still doesn't show valid certificate

Tried with both letsencrypt=1 and =2
Manually restarting apache isn't helping either

You have to enable SSL in domain setup.
Doh! Something simple I've overlooked. Can't this be done automatically by DA when a user creates a certificate? Or at least give a notice?
Maybe Raymii can add this do his guide too..

Back