Mail Client Automatic Configuration Scripts like Cpanel

Mikep

Verified User
Hi, I know there is some autodiscover already implemented here, https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=661, but it should be nice to develop this autoconfig in the way cpanel has already done with scripts, specially for ios devices.

I'm really not sure why is this happening but we have a growing number of support tickets about email accounts config instead a decreasing number of tickets all over the time, what should be the trend. I'm sure this feature will reduce our support tickets related to this issues notably.
I think this could be implemented in the email account list, Outlook configuration column.
Scripts supported now in Cpanel are:

Mail Client Automatic Configuration Scripts
Listed below are the available mail client automatic configuration scripts. Select the script for your mail client and operating system.

Application Protocols
iOS for iPhone/iPad/iPod and MacOS® Mail.app® for Mountain Lion (10.8+) IMAP over SSL/TLS IMAP
MacOS® Mail.app® for “Lion” (10.7+) IMAP over SSL/TLS IMAP
MacOS® Mail.app® for “Pre Lion” (10.4+) IMAP over SSL/TLS IMAP
Windows Live Mail® IMAP over SSL/TLS POP3 over SSL/TLS IMAP POP3 (Post Office Protocol v3)
Microsoft Outlook 2000® for Windows® IMAP over SSL/TLS POP3 over SSL/TLS IMAP POP3 (Post Office Protocol v3)
Microsoft Outlook Express® for Windows® IMAP over SSL/TLS POP3 over SSL/TLS IMAP POP3 (Post Office Protocol v3)

I know in ios this is done through a xml profile file that requires user to enter ios pin and the email account password.
I'm sorry I cannot offer more info about how to generate xml. It seems difficult to find for some reason.

Regards

You need the autoconfig one i guess, autodiscover is for outlook, autoconfig for example is used by Thundebird.

Not sure why John didn't publish that too, you may want to open a ticket to require it, it may be that he forgot or he's improving it :)

Best regards

Thx for reply Andrea, we already have autodiscover implemented for outlook and thunderbird. It should be nice to have scripts to do the same in ios/mac os x adding a profile via xml. Sadly apple user seems to be the more support dependent with config mail issues at least in our case.

Regards

I'm actually confused, autodiscover doesn't work with thundebird, it should be autoconfig, but i'm not sure the one i have works with phones, Zeiter told me he found one that was working also with phones, would be nice to have it too.

Anyway, if you want the autoconfig one please pm me with your email address and i'll send it to you.

Best regards

If there is a solution for phones I would very much also like to know it.

For the moment I have autoconfig for Thunderbird, and autodiscover for Outlook.

But the Microsoft Mail app (on pc, tablets, phones) doesn't use autodiscover it seems, or not in the way Outlook uses it (exchange account are auto discovered, but not imap or pop3).
And the apple kind also wants us to manually configure everything.

Only things I found at the moment are these: but haven't had the time to try them. And the iOS demo on the main page seems down at the moment.
https://automx.org/en/
https://github.com/sys4/automx

@Mikep,
Are you sure CPanel is able to configure iOS devices just by entering the mail address and password on the clients? Without any website to generate a profile?

In their documentation it states that autoconfig and autodiscover aren't supported by iOS (bottom of the following page)
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/AutoConfig+and+Autodiscover

regards,
Stijn

@Kiekeboe100

Hi Stijn, yes, I'm sure. Mail address, password and pin in ios were required when I tested the cpanel script. There is a Setup mail client link on email account list and there you have the script list I've already pasted at he begining of this post. It's what you can see in cpanel last version.
They also have a windows live mail script:

Windows Live Mail® IMAP over SSL/TLS POP3 over SSL/TLS IMAP POP3 (Post Office Protocol v3)

@AMSeLLeRoNe
Sorry Andrea I mean autoconfig for Thunderbird, and autodiscover for Outlook.

Regards

Can anyone provide any how-to about configuring autoconfig for thunderbird on the DA server? I only see instructions for autodiscover whih is for outlook only.

Back