Could you add admin/user backup split file's function?

darkbear

Verified User
First, sorry for my English is not good

Due to I have some users they have many files at server, so their backup's file are very very big...

And they want to download it for another backup copy, however ... due to their file are very big problem. they have to download it for a long long times
so if we can set when next backup > 5gb, system will auto split it to 5gb per files( example: when user1 have 25gb's backup file, they can download 5 files and not just 1 single file..)

so I hope you guys can add this function to help us, thank you so much

Last edited:
For now you might use 'split --bytes=5G user.admin.youruser.tar.gz' and put it in a cronjob to run after the backup done.

But I think most serverowners will use other ways to backup a user after backups grow larger than a few gigs. You could setup directadmin to backup everything except the large directories (email, db, domains) and use rsync to backups the large files. That would reduce your serverload while making the backups and you only backup files that actually changed. So most likely it's also a lot faster as a whole.

For now you might use 'split --bytes=5G user.admin.youruser.tar.gz' and put it in a cronjob to run after the backup done.

But I think most serverowners will use other ways to backup a user after backups grow larger than a few gigs. You could setup directadmin to backup everything except the large directories (email, db, domains) and use rsync to backups the large files. That would reduce your serverload while making the backups and you only backup files that actually changed. So most likely it's also a lot faster as a whole.

Thank you, but if directadmin can include this function, it will be come more user friendly and more user to use it.

Back