Getting all spam into one specific user account's spam folder

Strator

Verified User
Hi,

I have a lot of email forwards, but only one real email account. I don't just want all mails to arrive in that account (which is easy, of course), but also all spam to arrive in that account's spam folder (instead of some catchall which I cannot access from within that account).

Now, this is relatively easy to achieve with forwards from different domains. If I forward mail@domain1 -> mail@domain2 and have spamassassin disabled for domain1, then it will be scanned at my actual email account, and if it is found to be spam, it is treated as local spam and put into the local spam folder.

The problem I have is with forwarders from the same domain. Obviously, I cannot turn off spamassassin on a per-address basis, so as a result, mail is already scanned before (or while) being forwarded, once it arrives in my actual account it already has spam tags and isn't treated locally anymore - in other words, spam isn't put into my local spam folder, but into the default catchall folder, which is what I don't want.

So get what I do want, I have identified three possible solutions:

#1 - I could completely delete the catchall, and set up a symlink from /home/user/Maildir/.INBOX.spam/new/ (=the catchall) to /home/user/imap/$domain/$local_part/Maildir/.INBOX.spam/new/ (the folder in which I want to collect all my spam)

#2 - I could completely disable spam scanning for all forwarders, as per these instructions: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=156

#3 - I could change the settings in /etc/virtual/domain.com/filter to explicitly define where the spam should go - but then again in the file there's a warning to not edit it, as changes might not stick.

I hope this makes sense! Which of these seems like the best/safest approach? Is there an even better option I didn't think of? Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the input. Went for option #1 since it seemed the most convenient for me as well, and works just fine.

Back