Skin is dead ?

Many has commented that the new skin is too light (white) - and months later it still is.

So what is the point asking for user input if nothing is done based on it?

Looks like DirectAdmin is becoming a dying dinasour in CP-land.

I never understood why there aren't more people working on the product. Maybe I have to switch CP next server migration :/

I hope DA guys will ASAP hire more people to work on it, before its too late.

DA is good product, but if promises are not kept (release of the new skin) then its definitely not good promotion for the product.

Kind regards,
Jan

Last edited:
I would like to apologize you all, because it was a decision of mine not to release a "me-too" skin a year ago. And I really agree that it affected reputation of DA. We had it finished, but it was nothing different from enhanced, just a fresh look, but no major changes and re-coding. I wanted to have it fully re-coded to Vue.js, use vue-router, VueX, to rewrite the language/translation system completely (to use gettext and single .po file for every language), have no hardcoded tables from DA side (like |TABLE|) and so on... Now we have a private alpha (for anyone who asks for it in ticketing), and public alpha should be ready soon. There is a lot of new code every day... We just wouldn't like to publicly release it for download right now (today, for example), because then we'd get loads of requests about things that still need to be re-coded. I know it might feel as if nothing is done, but this is really not true. We get a lot of new code lines every day. I'm sorry, but I am sure the end result will be a new and modern frontend for DirectAdmin.

We have been watching the development for a long time. Thanks for the detailed answer. This gives us hope for a good product.

For our part, we are ready to help in testing and translating the skin into Russian. We made a complete russian translation of the old skin and support its update.

I would like to apologize you all, because it was a decision of mine not to release a "me-too" skin a year ago. And I really agree that it affected reputation of DA. We had it finished, but it was nothing different from enhanced, just a fresh look, but no major changes and re-coding. I wanted to have it fully re-coded to Vue.js, use vue-router, VueX, to rewrite the language/translation system completely (to use gettext and single .po file for every language), have no hardcoded tables from DA side (like |TABLE|) and so on... Now we have a private alpha (for anyone who asks for it in ticketing), and public alpha should be ready soon. There is a lot of new code every day... We just wouldn't like to publicly release it for download right now (today, for example), because then we'd get loads of requests about things that still need to be re-coded. I know it might feel as if nothing is done, but this is really not true. We get a lot of new code lines every day. I'm sorry, but I am sure the end result will be a new and modern frontend for DirectAdmin.

I would like to try the skin, if possible of course, I wrote to him pm. ;)

As alpha tester I can only tell that there is a lot of job for this task and I can understand why there is so long waiting time.

Currently I'm testing this skin with my free web hosting and people like new look but there is still a lot of things to fix (well this is alpha) :)

I hope that DA is going to improve skin for DA and add public alpha in next few months ;)

Martynas,
thanks for that update, but there is any general estimate to this new skin to be part of the DirectAdmin release?
week / month / more?

It looks good! Just a few things:

I like how it's organized -- with the menu collapsable and not. I've noticed these issues:

:2222/HTM_MESSAGES?sort1=-1
Cannot delete messages when hitting 'Delete Selected' in Chrome 60.

:2222/CMD_SSL?domain=example.com
Account Manager > SSL Certificates
Cannot view, select or even edit SSL certs.

I'm going to use the einDA skin now, but I believe you guys can get this released soon! Is it on Github yet?

Hello guys, any information about new skin release date? or at least alpha and beta test date?

Alpha is ready for several months, updated alpha is going to be ready very soon, and we will provide update to tickets for anyone who received first alpha version. The new alpha version will have:
* No hardcoded tables at all
* New translation system (.po files, one per language)
* All pages in vue-routes and migrated to vue
* All data fetched from backend using JSON

So, finally, we could accept bug reports for functionality :) We have 10 admin pages to migrate to vue, and they also need backend changes (check out the huge list of backend rewrite here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2017). It will be very easy for plugin developers and 3rd party products to take any information from DA because of these changes too.

Alpha is ready for several months, updated alpha is going to be ready very soon, and we will provide update to tickets for anyone who received first alpha version. The new alpha version will have:
* No hardcoded tables at all
* New translation system (.po files, one per language)
* All pages in vue-routes and migrated to vue
* All data fetched from backend using JSON

So, finally, we could accept bug reports for functionality :) We have 10 admin pages to migrate to vue, and they also need backend changes (check out the huge list of backend rewrite here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2017). It will be very easy for plugin developers and 3rd party products to take any information from DA because of these changes too.

Good news.
We can help with russian translations. Is it any options to move current russian translations from txt file to po file?
And is it any change to get beta version till end of this year?

Evolution skin

How do I apply to join the Alpha? I would like to test out the skin on one of my servers :)

Just to let everyone know, I opened a ticket about this hoping for access and received it and the new skin is everything they see it is. Just like the new home page it is clean cut, very white but no changes in functionality. Unless you spot a bug of course ;)

I'm about to reinstall DirectAdmin (hopefully) for the last time and will be using the new skin again so if anybody would like feedback on progress since July/August I will post it sooner rather than later.

When I was last testing (I was in development phase of my return to self employed status) I must of wrote out at least 50 detailed bug reports; sorry to say they were quite common and in some cases I had to revert back to the old skin! :( Safe to say this is not for general release yet far from it, I understand the frustration but appreciate fully smtalk's stance on getting the job done without cutting corners.

So yeah; hoping that I can now use the skin as I'd pretty much covered all the bugs I could find in my daily work flow from nearly 2/3 months ago.

Kind regards

To my memory I would not assume so, I believe the download link they provide updates automagically so I doubt they reinstall the demo each time the files server is updated because of the potential for new bugs. No idea though, good question.

Recommend the navigation bar may be able to retrieve the page's HTML file from cache that's will be fast for transfered between client and server on recurring page calls .

Another updated alpha has been sent to all of the alpha subscribers :) For those who only had a download URL - it's still the same for updated version. Functionality is fully coded (all pages use JSON+Vue), a new translation system is also there. Translation file should be taken from /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/evolution/lang/dictionary.pot and when translated, uploaded to languages, for example, /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/evolution/lang/ru.po. Then the skin will start showing it up.

Last edited:
Is there some kind of system in place where the community can do a translation to another language? I'm sure a lot of people will want to translate the skin to dutch or spanish and instead of everyone creating their own language packs, it would be beneficial if we could do it all together.

And any ETA on the beta release?

Back