DNS Sanity Checking

kevinb

Verified User
I would like to see the DNS Manager either auto-correct or point out problems with DNS additions. We are routinely having to assist customers with DNS changes for simple mistakes.

1) CNAME and MX records that are missing the trailing period.
2) TXT records that are not in quotes. - In 1.514
3) Example for installing SRV records.
4) Disallow non-ASCII characters - IDN support?

I'm sure there are more checks that could be done, but for me that accounts for 95 percent of the issues.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
I agree with this. But for TXT records and quotes that is implemented in the next version: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1954

I would like to add a #4 to the feature request. When customer add a domain with special characters, like æ, ø and å etc, they should automatically be stopped and not added because they need to be converted to IDN domain format before adding the domain. We recently experienced a customer that added a domain name with ø, and nothing wrong happened before next time we rebooted the server, after reboot named would not start. Only after deleting the domain with ø, we could start named.

So it is very much needed to be able to block customers ability to add domains with special characters, to avoid problems with named.

Yes indeed, customers should not be able to create domains with special characters and receive a warning instead. DNS issues happening all the time because of this!

I've updated the top thread with TXT records being in the new version and removing non-ascii or adding in proper IDN support.

Thanks,

Kevin

Back