dns_caa.conf / cns_cname.conf

Jeffreyb

Verified User
Hello,

I would like to address the problem of "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"
So far I have seen two instances of this problem:

http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=50321
describes one of them (also with the solution)

The second one I just encountered on my server. I changed some DA (custombuild script 2.0) config files (dns_caa.conf / cns_cname.conf), to automatically add some DNS settings to new accounts. I assume I made errors while doing so, because when I create a new account I encounter the message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading". The POST sent is normal, but there is no response. The user is created on CentOS and the domain is created in DA aswell. However, the user.... no trace of him in DA.

@DA: perhaps fix the problem with "The connection to...." and give a proper response to the user?

Regarding my question, I want new users to have default values added to their DNS settings, because I'm using an external mail server.

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=616 shows how that is done, and I believer I did that correctly.
But since CAA is added, why not set letsencrypt.org as default for all new users (since they will all use letsencrypt anyway)

cd /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom
cp ../dns_caa.conf .

Code:
|CAA|=1 issue "letsencrypt.org"
Is that correct?

Furthermore, I want to add some CNAMEs for TransIP (required when using their mail server)
https://www.transip.nl/vragen/110000835-records-subdomein-voor-mailservice-instellen/
cp ../dns_cname.conf .

Code:
transip-A._domainkey=_dkim-A.transip.email.
transip-B._domainkey=_dkim-B.transip.email.
transip-C._domainkey=_dkim-C.transip.email.

Lastly I need to set an auth token using TXT record, thus:
cp ../dns_txt.conf .
Code:
|DOMAIN|.="v=spf1 a mx ip4:|SERVER_IP||EXTRA_SPF| include:_spf.transip.email ~all"
x-transip-mail-auth=VERYLONGSTRINGTHATISACTUALLYSECURE
(of cause with a different value for auth...)

My question: What am I doing wrong? because I guess this is what causes the creating of the new user to fail...

I have managed to make the dns_caa.conf file works, the correct syntax is:
Code:
|DOMAIN|=1 issue "letsencrypt.org"

Best regards

Isn't it;

Code:
|DOMAIN|=0 issue "letsencrypt.org"

instead of

Code:
|DOMAIN|=1 issue "letsencrypt.org"

Notice the 0 instead of 1. As far as I know the only allowed values are 0 and 128. And thanks for this, a nice addition to the custom scripts :)

All the guides I saw online use to use "0" and not "1", i know that the value can be 0 up to 128, but I am not sure what that means, if that's a priorit or what.

Anyway as long as you use the same number everywhere I guess there are no problem, maybe the number may also be one for each CA you authroize, ex:
0 letsencrypt
1 rapidssl
2 symantec
... and so on

Best regards

Is it possible to configure this custom dns_caa.conf file to add 2 default dns records? In addition to the default "issue" record I also want to add the "iodef" record whenever a new user is created :)

I thought it was something more complicated.. but off course you can use 2 |DOMAIN| lines..:rolleyes: thanks.

@OP: Maybe open a support ticket to fix the "connection was reset" issue?

I use this on my dns_caa.conf :

|DOMAIN|.=0 issuewild "letsencrypt.org"
|DOMAIN|.=0 iodef "mailto:dns@|DOMAIN|" <<== update this with what ever ya want :)
|DOMAIN|.=0 issue "letsencrypt.org"

Last edited:
Back