The disk usage for one or more of your partitions is running low

Blackdog

Verified User
Hello,

Sorry if this is something that is asked a lot around here but i'm out of options.

First of all some info:
I have a VPS running with the following specs: 2 cores / 4.096 MB / Directadmin 1.5 + CentOS 7
With a Harddisk of 150GB SSD.

The Problem:
About a couple of weeks ago i'm getting the message:

Subject: Warning: The disk usage for one or more of your partitions is running low

This is an automated message notifying you that the following partition(s) have exceeded the 95% threshold:

100% - /

================================
Automated Message Generated by DirectAdmin 1.51.3

Now i've searched the web, with some basic solutions.
Delete old backups and check out where the space is lost.
Done that, but now with even zero backups are being made i got the same message (See above)

With my host/provider i've searched by terminal on the machine it self and get some weird info. (See picture links below)
VPS_-_DA-Disk_Usage.png
vps_-_DA_DF.png
My provider will not help me any further and i found out there are some weird backups in the folder(?) called: vg_directadmin-lv_root

My knowledge of linux is just bare minimum so maybe someone can help with this or has a walkthroug/tutorial?
Because running random scripts is not my thing because dont know what it does.

Thanks in advanced!

Regards,

Hello,

Run

Code:
du -h -x / | sort -h -r | head -50

to find and print TOP 50 of directories which use the most disk space, it will show you something like this:

Code:
902M    /319M    /lib
239M    /.snapshots
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021/imap/domain.com
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021/imap
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2
232M    /lib/modules

this is my example, and your case will be different.

p.s. it might take a while to collect and sort all information.

Hello,

Run

Code:
du -h -x / | sort -h -r | head -50

to find and print TOP 50 of directories which use the most disk space, it will show you something like this:

Code:
902M    /319M    /lib
239M    /.snapshots
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021/imap/domain.com
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021/imap
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home/u30021
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost/home
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2/localhost
235M    /.snapshots/hourly.2
232M    /lib/modules

this is my example, and your case will be different.

p.s. it might take a while to collect and sort all information.

First of all Thanks!

I've run the command and found the same weird backups.
Cant copy and paste the output so will post a screenshot again.

VPS_-_Terminal_Output.png

The backups that are shown, is what i saw before but dont know how to reach them or if deleting them will do some harm.: confused:

Thanks for info.
I run that command to now.
Question is:
Custombuild 2 rev 1965 GUI plugin DA
Mariadb 10.1

Diskspace in use: 1.9G /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql

Is this normal? while all (update) packages (RPM) Mariadb 10.1.x and Mariadb 5.5.x are in that Directory. ( i did read sometime ago her in forum about that but thought this was solved somehow with a DA custumbuild update or the plugin from SMTALK?)

O yes it DID take a long while to display results. ;)

Last edited:
The backups that are shown, is what i saw before but dont know how to reach them or if deleting them will do some harm.: confused:

That's the system backups in /home/backup/, you can manage list of files and directories included into them in Directadmin at admin level. I'd suggest that you remove homedirs and mysql from it.

In order to clean disk space feel free to remove them all. They are optional.

When you use TransIP... they do backups of your VPS automatically, and if you don't change system configs very often you can disable system backups completely.

You can use TransIP big storage or stackdrive for backup of user accounts.

ikkeben said:
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql

Feel free to remove it.

That's the system backups in /home/backup/, you can manage list of files and directories included into them in Directadmin at admin level. I'd suggest that you remove homedirs and mysql from it.

In order to clean disk space feel free to remove them all. They are optional.

When you use TransIP... they do backups of your VPS automatically, and if you don't change system configs very often you can disable system backups completely.

You can use TransIP big storage or stackdrive for backup of user accounts.

Feel free to remove it.

Thanks for the info, but now the hard part. My knowledge of Linux is just bare minimum and dont want to "screw" things up.
Any advice or options what i can do about it? Because by entering the directadmin interface i can't delete or do anything with it.

Also dont want to accidently delete the wrong things etc.

Thanks.

The best advice would be: you should either study basics on how to use Linux shell, or hire somebody to maintain your server. Directadmin won't help you to manage files/dirs located outside of users homes. You need to do it manually.

So if you need to clean disk space you need to use SSH or virtual console from transip and manually delete files/dirs. If you want to learn on how to do it yourself, then you need to learn how to find information and read existing guides and manuals on how to work in Linux console. ;)

The best advice would be: you should either study basics on how to use Linux shell, or hire somebody to maintain your server. Directadmin won't help you to manage files/dirs located outside of users homes. You need to do it manually.

So if you need to clean disk space you need to use SSH or virtual console from transip and manually delete files/dirs. If you want to learn on how to do it yourself, then you need to learn how to find information and read existing guides and manuals on how to work in Linux console. ;)

Haha, i'm aware of that. Basic things in the Virtual console i can do myself like running updates. :D
Can i hire you for the job? Because you got some side info from me.

Regards

Last edited:
Feel free to remove it.
Thanks i know i can remove, but wasn't there a topic ( kind of bug) and change in script that does it automatic at updating mariadb?

If so where is the changed part of script to remove the old rpm's after updating, or do / did i understand that part wrong?

I find it here http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54523&highlight=remove+mariadb+files but i remember something of changed script, mayby it's my own memory bug in my head then. ;)

Back