Can parts of the DNS be disabled or filtered?

Aza

Verified User
Apologies for the vague title and possibly posting in the wrong place.

When resolving an email address my dedicated CentOS/Apache/DirectAdmin server first checks the domains on the server. Is there a way to manage this?

For example, consider the following 4 circumstances:

1) AAA.COM and BBB.COM are on the same DirectAdmin administered dedicated server (SERVER.AAA.NET).

2) BBB.COM, however, is *also* on another DirectAdmin administered dedicated server (SERVER.BBB.NET).

3) The registrar for AAA.COM points to the SERVER.AAA.NET nameserver.

4) The registrar for BBB.COM points to the SERVER.BBB.NET nameserver.

Under these circumstances communications from any other servers would go to AAA.COM on SERVER.AAA.NET or BBB.COM on SERVER.BBB.COM.

What's driving me nuts is that communications from AAA.COM go to BBB.COM *on SERVER.AAA.NET* -- not to the registrar designated SERVER.BBB.NET.

OK, why does this matter? Just delete BBB.COM from SERVER.AAA.COM and it's all good!

The reason is that having BBB.COM all set up on SERVER.AAA.NET means that, should SERVER.BBB.NET go down, it's a simple matter to change the nameserver designation at BBB.COM's registrar to point to SERVER.AAA.COM. BBB.COM will suffer little down time.

We tried DirectAdmin's multiserver configuration which lets one entire server carry on for another entire server. But in this case we want to protect only one or two domains, one server has many more IPs available than the other, and there are some SSL certificate issues.

So, that's why I want to have key users and domains all set up and ready to run depending on where the registered nameserver points. That works fine until there is a communication within a server gets routed internally. Such as when as an email from AAA.COM is sent to BBB.COM. In that case the email is snagged by BBB.COM on SERVER.AAA.NET and never reaches the registrar designated BBB.COM on SERVER.BBB.NET.

Any insights and particularly solutions are apreciated.

Aza D. Oberman

When resolving an email address my dedicated CentOS/Apache/DirectAdmin server first checks the domains on the server. Is there a way to manage this?
This is your problem and at the same time your question.

Go to /etc/resolv.conf and remove 127.0.0.1 or any other localhost resolving from there.
Have only external dns servers like your datacenter or isp dns or the Google public DNs in there.
If I'm not mistaken, this should fix your issue. Don't forget to restart named/bind.

However, keep in mind when you're going to use the Google DNS servers, you can run into limitations when using RBL's for your mailserver.

Or go to CMD_DNS_MX?domain=bbb.com on server aaa and remove the checkbox at Local Mail Server. That 'should' prevent it (iirc)

Back