Cant update Custombuild 2.0

Musicfreak

Verified User
[Solved] Cant update Custombuild 2.0

im running Custom build 2.0.0 (rev: 1695)

when i login i see there are updates but when i check i see this.

" Build process in progress. PID: 16088 (kill) Started from terminal." in the webgui. I already did a full restart of the server and all but its still there. I cant use custom build anymore to update anything.

Is there a way to remove that message so it works again. Without a complete reinstall.

I tried ps aux to see if there was a ID with 16088 but there isnt any. its already been like this for a few days.

Last edited:
im running Custom build 2.0.0 (rev: 1695)
Where can one see that revision number?

I don't know where the custombuild addon webgui keeps it's cache or whatever it uses to read this from. I rather update via the normal way.

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build update_versions
and done. At least that way you can also see right away if something is going wrong.

Maybe somebody else can help you fix the webgui issue.

Where can one see that revision number?

I don't know where the custombuild addon webgui keeps it's cache or whatever it uses to read this from. I rather update via the normal way.

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build update_versions
and done. At least that way you can also see right away if something is going wrong.

Maybe somebody else can help you fix the webgui issue.

when i go to domain.com/CMD_PLUGINS_ADMIN/custombuild/index.html
under the home button/image i see the 2.0.0 (rev 1695)

when i do
./build update_versions

after some other things i see this.

Updating PHP 5.6 (mod_php)
Another instance of custombuild is running (lockfile: /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/.custombuild, PID 16088).

i did the build_versions again so it does the update of the php thing and this is what i now see.

virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
make: *** [ext/fileinfo/libmagic/apprentice.lo] Error 1

Last edited:
hen i go to domain.com/CMD_PLUGINS_ADMIN/custombuild/index.html
Ah yes, but you need to have the custombuild plugin for that, i don't use that plugin.

Another instance of custombuild is running (lockfile: /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/.custombuild, PID 16088).
There, you instantly found the problem maker which you mentioned in your initial post.
Since there is no PID 16088 if you do a ps faux I would remove that .custombuild pid lockfile.

Then try again with ./build update_versions if it works now.

If you run into the memory error again... are you on a VPS?

Ah yes, but you need to have the custombuild plugin for that, i don't use that plugin.

There, you instantly found the problem maker which you mentioned in your initial post.
Since there is no PID 16088 if you do a ps faux I would remove that .custombuild pid lockfile.

Then try again with ./build update_versions if it works now.

If you run into the memory error again... are you on a VPS?

Yes im running my mail server on a VPS. and i saw it was in use about 90% when it was updating things.

it seems like something needs a lot of memory to upgrade to 5.6.31 it seems like.
I only have 1 gb of memory.

Hmmz.. that's odd, 1 GB should be enough normally.

There are a couple of things you could do, I found some on the internet.
1.) Get more ram. However, I still think 1 GB would be enough.

2.) If your mailserver is in use for 90% (or anything else using memory) temporary shut it down.

3.) Do you have a swap partition? If not you could try to create a temporary swap file:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=262144
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile
Since you have a VPS, if I'm not mistaken it's gone after a reboot.

4.) Disable fileinfo, but I'm not sure if this has a negative effect on php.
I found it on several pages, one of them is this one.
In Directadmin you probably have to create a custom configure.phpXX in your custom/ap2 directory with the --disable-fileinfo in there.

However, maybe somebody else can have a look at this thread too, because of the memory usage.

Hmmz.. that's odd, 1 GB should be enough normally.

There are a couple of things you could do, I found some on the internet.
1.) Get more ram. However, I still think 1 GB would be enough.

2.) If your mailserver is in use for 90% (or anything else using memory) temporary shut it down.

3.) Do you have a swap partition? If not you could try to create a temporary swap file:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=262144
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile
Since you have a VPS, if I'm not mistaken it's gone after a reboot.

4.) Disable fileinfo, but I'm not sure if this has a negative effect on php.
I found it on several pages, one of them is this one.
In Directadmin you probably have to create a custom configure.phpXX in your custom/ap2 directory with the --disable-fileinfo in there.

However, maybe somebody else can have a look at this thread too, because of the memory usage.

httpd httpd (pid 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ) 823.0 MB

is taking the most of the memory. While i don't have a website running on my VPS only my mailserver but it needs apache for the webmail i guess. I cant stop the httpd because webmail would stop then also.

i edited the file httpd_mpm_conf so that it uses less active processes at the same time. while it doesn't need that much. And im running the update again Gone from 940 MB to 300 MB.

Edit:

that seems to have worked.

suhosin 0.9.38 is now installed for PHP 5.6.
suhosin 0.9.38 PHP extension has been installed successfully.
PHP 5.6.31 Installed.

Last edited:
And im running the update again Gone from 940 MB to 300 MB.
So is it working now?

Still... strange that you use that much memory while you don't have a website running. By stopping services webmail would stop also indeed, but you could do that at night time or something like that. It's just temporary to upgrade php and then start it again.

Just out of curiosity, which command did you use to get this?
httpd httpd (pid 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ) 823.0 MB

So is it working now?

Still... strange that you use that much memory while you don't have a website running. By stopping services webmail would stop also indeed, but you could do that at night time or something like that. It's just temporary to upgrade php and then start it again.

i have " fixed" it

i edited the file httpd_mpm_conf so that it uses less active processes at the same time. while it doesn't need that much. And im running the update again Gone from 940 MB to 300 MB.

Edit:

that seems to have worked.

suhosin 0.9.38 is now installed for PHP 5.6.
suhosin 0.9.38 PHP extension has been installed successfully.
PHP 5.6.31 Installed

when i go to domain:port/CMD_SHOW_SERVICES ( directadmin) i see therethe services and the status i changed the Pid's to 1 2 3 4 etc to not show the current ones :)

Ah oke, I keep forgetting you work via web interface. No problem there.

Good to see you've fixed it by changing the conf. Since you don't have websites running it's a good thing to lower the active processes.

Ah oke, I keep forgetting you work via web interface. No problem there.

Good to see you've fixed it by changing the conf. Since you don't have websites running it's a good thing to lower the active processes.

I have access to both Web and command line. But somethings i just find easier via the web interface. (something about being lazy).

It starts with 3 processes for httpd but it start sometimes a 4th but it wont close that once it isn't needed anymore.

But somethings i just find easier via the web interface. (something about being lazy).
It's not lazy, it's sometimes just easier like you say. I'm so used to do everything via commandline that I forget about using the GUI for these kind of things.:)

Back