Letsencrypt: the target principal name is incorrect

Richard G

Verified User
I think I need a little help with this.
I wanted to enable the option so all users can choose to just use pop/imap with or without SSL, at this moment it is still without SSL.

So I read this help section as 2 other help pages (exim_sni and dovecot_sni) pointed to this as being the newest way to make things work:
https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2019

So first I created for a hobby domain SSL certificates for everything except FTP.
Then I read the help page and enabled mail_sni=1 in directadmin.conf and restarted DA.

After that I issued the following two lines:
Code:
echo "action=rewrite&value=mail_sni" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
echo "action=rewrite&value=mail_sni&domain=hobbydomain.com" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
and waited until the task.queue was finished.

Then I tried entering the mail in Outlook 2013. Set incoming mail to SSL on port 995 and outgoing mail to SSL on port 465 right?
Then this error occured:
Code:
the target principal name is incorrect
with the question if I want to keep using that server.

It's possible to click a "view certificate" button, and then I see that is says:
Issued to hostname.server.com
Same for certificate path, but I can't see "mail.hobbydomain.com" anywhere.

So I presume this is not the correct way of working.

What did I do wrong and how can I fix this please?

I might have it fixed.

Re-reading the help page, I had all newest versions but it seemed /etc/dovecot/conf.d/95-sni.conf was missing.
So I took the steps buidling exim_conf and dovecot_conf again which created the file.

After that issued the command for the 2 lines to the task.queue and now everthing is working fine.

Back