DNS Multiserver issue

activate

Verified User
Howdy,

I have 3 DA servers with Multi Server enabled.

I am noticing that when making DNS changes they are picked up on server 1 and 2 but not on the third.

So far I have checked permissions on /var/named and they are the same for all three servers.

Is there any script I can run to fix this or can anyone give a hint where to look?

Kind regards,

Eelco Bosselaar

Hello Eelco.

Did you doublecheck and test the connection to server 3? Because this mostly happens when no connection is made or no connection was possible.
What does the logfiles say at the sending server and server 3? Ar notify's send to server 3 from the sending server?

Like this:
Code:
11-Jul-2017 02:18:36.472 notify: info: client 144.xxx.xxx.xxx#8462: received notify for zone 'somedomain.com'
This should be present in the log from the sending server and should be present for both receiving servers.

Also check logs on server 3 if connections are made or if it was tried from the sending servers.

Hello,

How do you connect your servers?

variant A:

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 1

the 1st connects to the 2nd, the 2nd connects to the 3rd, the 3rd connects to the 1st.

variant B:

1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 1

each of the 3 servers has connections to another 2?

the 1st connects to the 2nd+3rd,
the 2nd connects to the 3rd+1st,
the 3rd connects to the 1st+2nd.

With directadmin the variant A won't work, you need to use the variant B.

Thanks both for your response :)

The servers are correctly setup with the variant B method.
However it seemed like a made a thinking error after implementing my own DNS.

The server which was not cooperating was not specified locally in the DNS. The domain did exist but there was no record for the srvXX.domain.tld I use for our servers.

After adding the A record for srvXX the problem is resolved.

Kind regards and happy holidays!

Eelco Bosselaar

Back