Thread: Running/Testing a cronjob from DA

Running/Testing a cronjob from DA

In addition to the Add, Edit, Delete and Save possibilities of cronjobs, I think it would be nice to see a "RUN/TEST"-button on the cronjob-page as well.

Hello,

And what RUN/TEST should do?

If you want to test/run a new or any existing crontask you can set * * * * * for a task. Any other method might be not as reliable as you want, because the environment of a cron-task might differ.

Webmin has a "Run Cron Job", so not sure why DA couldn't...

One of the most common issues with crontab is that it has it's own environment, i.e. PATH= value, which might differ from user's environment in a console.

If directadmin can simulate environment of crontab, then why not to have it?! Feel free to bring the feature request to Directadmin staff's attention then.

Good idea, Also hope to see in next version of DA.

In my case I have a simple script that gets called by a cronjob once a day.
    Lately this script didn't work as expected anymore, like again this morning too.
    I made a number of changes through FTP in the script and wanted to run the cronjob again through DA, only to find the option wasn't there.
    I think to remember many, many years ago I have used this function, but it must have been with cPanel perhaps?

Now I had to login with SSH to just copy and paste the cronjob's content into the terminal screen and see what happens. Feels a bit clumsy for something that could've been handled by DA itself easily imo.

Never seen such a button in Directadmin. Tasks can be executed with cron as simple as

Code:
    * * * * * /path/to/script.sh >> ~/crontask.out 2>&1
    then just check content of ~/crontask.out either in directadmin filemanager or via FTP.

This is how I do it.