External DNS options in 2018

ericc

Verified User
Hi,

Need to set up two external DNS servers for two dedicated servers running DA shared hosting accounts. What options would you suggest to disable built in DA DNS and route all DNS queries through external name servers? Non DA DNS servers preferred (to make solution more flexible and not tied exceptionally to DA servers with user accounts).

Hello,

- PowerDNS
- DirectSlave
- Custom solutions...

PowerDNS - too much power I guess, there should be far more simpler way
DirectSlave - DA only and no support
Custom solutions - what kind of?

Directadmin does not officially offer or support any remote DNS servers/services, it can use Directadmin with a multiserver function. So actually all other solutions will be custom and 3rd party's.

- DirectSlave is 3rd party solution and does not require Directadmin to be installed on the same server with it.

If PowerDNS is too much for you (by the way are you really sure that you need to run separate DNS servers?) then you can use named/bind with your own way to sync zones (and have fun with it), or use one from these forums. There was a thread about how to sync zones between Directadmin and named, I don't have a link.

Custom solution... is any of possible solutions you can think of and which were not listed here. Wanna have AWS? We can write an addon for you and connect your Directadmin with AWS? Wanna something else? Contact us for details.

I just deployed an offsite cluster a few weeks ago, and here's how I did it.

1. Cluster of PowerDNS machines using the replication strategy you feel most comfortable with.
2. An API that sits in front of PowerDNS to triage API requests from DirectAdmin / other clients, and make changes against PowerDNS.
3. Hooks installed as dns_create_post.sh and dns_delete_post.sh that call the API to update the cluster.

In my case, I'm using a hidden-master configuration, where all my DirectAdmin servers are the hidden master, and the cluster just acts as secondaries. The cluster acts as a master as well, to some zones that aren't attached to a DirectAdmin server.

I opted not to make it DirectAdmin specific, but my original implementation was an API that quacked like DirectAdmin.

You can talk directly to PowerDNS from the hooks, but I wanted to have a finer grained access control, hence the API as a go-between. My API server has a record of all zones and which server ("account") they belong to. This allows client servers to offsite their own zones without having access to clobber other peoples zones.

My API communicates over the PowerDNS REST API.

You always have a choice try and learn it yourself or get someone to do it for you.

Directadmin has a nice system of hooks, i.e. post scripts and the good thing is that you can use any possible script-language with it.

Replied on Monday 22nd January at 18:12. Probably you can find our reply in spam folder at Gmail.

Back