EXIM ****Stopped**** email issues

StandAndUnite

Verified User
I think this is in the right place.

I’m reviewing past threads and articles but thought I’d post this before I break anything in my settings or files. I’ll try to layout where I’m at and what’s going on.

1) DA account with a few domains (mostly mine)
2) previously email was working on one site
3) while working on new site and setting up emails, now I don’t get or receive emails from any site. I get ‘111 can’t open smtp stream’ when trying to send from squirlMail.
4) I finally found documentation and how to edit etc/exim but my file doesn’t look the same as DA documentation. Also, I’ve never heard of it or had to modify it before.
5) Looking at System info for all domains I see ‘exim *****stopped*****’, which I don’t know if it was ever turned on. I’ve never touched it.
6) I have a Reverse dns lookup for my DA ip.
7) Have SSL for both domains through AWS (DA shows SSL in red, as if I don’t)
8) all traffic goes through a load balancer at AWS
9) AWS says that DNS and security groups look good on their end.

And what has be hesitant in making changes is that my registrar is with one provider, control panel is with DA, and VPC host is with AWS, so I have three places to make dns changes. So, I’m not sure if it’s a dns issue or exim issue or something else. And if I’m doing more harm than good.

Also, my VPS with AWS just got 3 years of upgrades across multiple softwares, maybe that is part of the issue and why exim is now needed?!

I’m learning a ton and continuing my research, but if anyone can help point me in the right direction, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Hunter
StandAndUnite.com
AcademyOfRoadMastery.com

First try to start Exim and if it fails, look into the logs what a (re)start block.
what is the version of Exim?

Thanks for the assist.

1) Nothing happens (except page reload) when I start or re-start exim from ‘service monitor’.
2) There is no exim version in ‘system information’.
3) DA version is 1.5.2, which I update last night.
4) There’s nothing(0bytes) in the three exim logs but other logs have data.

5) In ‘mail que administration’ I see... ‘Error with queue dump: /usr/sbin/exim: error while loading shared libraries: libdb-5.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory’

Last edited:
Wich version of custombuild are your running?

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build version

I only have my iPad to work from at the moment and embarrassingly not set up with command line. I’m trying to get in contact with my dev help. ...Is there a way to check the build version via control panel?

You need SSH root access or at least a sudo! How else would you be able to keep your system up to date.

You need SSH root access or at least a sudo! How else would you be able to keep your system up to date.

I had help from said friend. ...His email is also on the server, so haven’t been able to get ahold of him yet. I should be able to hear in a bit.

I also heard more back from AWS support. He went through everything and confirmed what all looked good. He also brought up a couple issues, one of which might be the underlying problem.
1) I have two hosted zones for AcademyOfRoadMastery, one private, which might be causing conflicts.
2) server answered (Dovecote service) on two ports (not sure if it’s good to post them here), but port 25 is actively being blocked by the server. He mentions ‘postfix’, troubleshooting that and checking it’s status. As well as checking if anything is listening on 25. (Need ssh for sure)
3) he also mentioned a possible mail misconfiguration, which I think it might be/was me. Especially with the multiple dns across three platforms. ...what would cause 25 to close up?

4) sidenote: looking at the ‘brute force attacks’ in DA I see about 70 attacks in the last 4 days. Most of which are using a single email from my SAU site. They all say ‘Dovecot’ for the filter. All failed authentication. All came from three different IPs. I’m not sure what all that tells you.

Anyways, thanks for hanging in there with me. I’m sure I’ll know more here in a few hours.

James will be in here, in a minute.
We’re running through things.
The build version is 2.0.0-RC7 (rev: 824)
Also, his email is working and is on a different server. So that’s irrelevant.

Last edited:
Wow! Email is working! All he did was ‘build exim’ and recreated the exam files. We haven’t figured out why they were removed/deleted in the first place. Maybe hackers, maybe the multitude of upgrades. Not really sure.

Thanks for all of your help Awd. Do you have any final thoughts?

For anyoneone else interested in how to rebuild the exim files. Here’s the command used.
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build exim

Awd, if there is any sensitive info in this thread, would you let me know so that I can remove it. - thanks

Hi, glad that it works out for you now. There is no sensitive info here. For security reasons I think it is wise to update everything.

Be sure that from now on you have ssh login details for next time :)

Hi, glad that it works out for you now. There is no sensitive info here. For security reasons I think it is wise to update everything.

Be sure that from now on you have ssh login details for next time :)

Thanks.
Yeah, I will.

Back