Interested in Learning DA

radweb

Hi All,

I'm not a current user of DirectAdmin an have never so much as logged into a DA server. I have been interested however, to setup a small environment to become familiar with the basic principles and features.

I currently host a half dozen cPanel dedicated servers and a couple cPanel VM's, so one thing I would like to gain from the test environment is the ability to identify the primary differences in DirectAdmin and cPanel, specifically backend processes and WHMCS integration, but also just want to become aware of features and distinctions which would be important to prospective clients. I am very hands on and would prefer to deploy and explore the software in our own environments.

I say all of that to get to my question, which is: Is there a cheaper license available for virtual servers? $30 is a bit high for testing purposes and I am extremely busy so a very high likelihood that my test could extend into month 2 or even 3 as I typically find time where I can to research and test out prospective service integrations. We are not a big operation and my personal preference for first-hand experience prevents me from dispatching the assessment down-the-line for a dev to handle.

Can anyone tell me how some providers I have seen are offering their clients $5 or less licensing for VPS servers? I am highly interested to know about the licensing? Any tips based on the above? $30 is more than what we pay for cPanel dedicated licenses (which we order from our data center). Should we be looking to get the license from a reseller, rather than direct?

Thanks in advance.

Scott C
RAD WEB HOSTING

$30 is a bit high for testing purposes
You could consider renting a VPS with directadmin. There are (as you stated) providers who rent DA licenses for $5 a month.

Can anyone tell me how some providers I have seen are offering their clients $5 or less licensing for VPS servers?
This can either be done by using lifetime licenses, or internal licenses. As far as I know this is mostly done via internal licenses which are special for data centers or providers which have several servers in 1 data center and they are only available via the reseller/datacenter.

$30 is more than what we pay for cPanel dedicated licenses
I don't know where you get the $30 a month. DA is costing $29 a month. Oke it's only $1 difference, but cpanel costs $45 a month which is a lot more expensive.
Indeed DA does not have a seperate license for VPS so if you're using VPS then $30 a month is expensive. But for a VPS one can better rent a license from the datacenter or hoster they have the VPS from or buy a lifetime license themselves.
Often enough also used lifetime licenses are sold for between $150 and $200.

A vps is your thing!

For tests you can buy a vps in any company and go! At home it is more expensive to have the computer on! For what you pay electricity you get more VPS account in any company. :cool:

OVH, Hetzner they could be a good option for your case.

Regards.

Back