Mail to Outlook queued?

Richard G

Verified User
Has Microsoft changed something or do they have an issue?

Since several days, mail is send to outlook.com accounts, but is not received. Exim says mails are send.
So I'm checking and they all get a 250 2.6.0 queued for delivery notice from Outlook.

This is visible in Exim logs:
Code:
CV=no C="250 2.6.0 <[email protected]> [InternalId=1945620190700, Hostname=SN1NAM01HT113.eop-nam01.prod.protection.outlook.com] 8461 bytes in 0.067, 122.055 KB/sec Queued mail for delivery"
2018-02-19 02:04:52 1enZsw-0001EE-52 Completed

Send via my Outlook 2013 client, via 4 different servers (2 DA and 1 Cpanel server and Gmail) all have the same issue. Send but not delivered.
Send from local server via Webmail also gets the queue message.

At least one account has all these:
Setup a SPF record
Setup DKIM
Setup a DMARC record
Setup a reverse DNS record
HELO must be a host name not an IP
Make sure that your IP is not on a blacklist
Use a static IP address for your server
Sign up for JMRP and SNDS ---> I've got only SNDS, no JMRP. Strangely enough suddenly all my ip's which were listed there are gone. I don't know since when.

Not a single server is on a spamlist and reputation is all neutral or good.
Before everything worked perfectly.

But it looks like an MS issue.
Because I just tried to send a mail via webmail from Gmail and I got the mail back to me as if it was send to me. This is the header:

Code:
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.157.37.200 with HTTP; Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:12:10 -0800 (PST)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 02:12:10 +0100
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Message-ID: <CAG94LLXZXtLfyoANfieevD_PTWaHwh5rmUf9vpECU01koU17LQ@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: test vanaf gmail via webmail
To: Mijn Zus <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="94eb2c04663a28aed505658662f1"

As you can see, send to [email protected] but simply delivered to the from address [email protected] which is very strange isn't it? The email accounts are not real but masked for privacy reasons.

Anyone else having these issues or know a solution?
Or could it be this only this 1 outlook.com account? I don't have others I can test with.

That is not something you can control, once the receiving smtp server accepts the email it is out of your hands and you can only assume it was being delivered. Based on the fact that outlook.com accepted your email, I am guessing you passed most if not all the tests. MS and other large email providers use their own blacklists that you have no way of finding out if you are on them. Typically they block/target whole IP ranges so most likely your IP address was caught up in that and they assumed your emails are spam and perhaps drops them, maybe check the spam box for those emails. Best to contact MS about it, unfortunately they tend want to tell you to subscribe to the Return Path certification which if my memory serves me right would have cost me over $1000 a year just to make sure my emails made it to their customers email boxes without going to their spam boxes. Hopefully though, if you can get a hold of someone at outlook.com they can trace where your emails are or ended up and you can work on it from there.

I've done some checks.
My private ziggo account is being delivered to the outlook.com's inbox.
Same for the Gmail (via webmail) email, however, this one is also send back to my gmail address as if it were send to me, as can be seen in the quote.

From the 3 other servers, the mail indeed was accepted but landed in the receivers spambox.
3 other mails send by my sister, were not received at all at her inbox en also not on received by 1 hotmail account, neither send back.

I checked all ip's on my SDNS account, there was nothing wrong with the status. I also have JRMP but had no notices.
The return path is too expensive indeed.

It's just very odd since it happened only since about 3 days ago, the same day that I upgraded Easy Spamfighter, which is also having issues (see other thread).
I guess it won't be related but it's odd.

It can indeed be what you say, that it's some spam list from MS, but it's very strange that it suddenly happens with 3 da servers in Germany and 1 Cpanel server in the Netherlands with al different ip's, in 3 different data centers at the same time.

Thank you, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one and got confirmation it's just since a few days.

Back