Unable to Start - Stop - Restart Services

hostanet

Verified User
I am unable to start, stop or restart any of the running services with the exception of directadmin. I receive and error message that says: "The following error has occurred" with no further info.

Also under the "System Information" page everything looks great with one exception - the "Processor Name" shows up as "Unavailable".

Hello,

Try using:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/name restart

and see if there is any difference. The boot scripts might need some work, just have to figure out where they need it.

The Processor Name of "Unavailable" is what FreeBSD reports using the
/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo
reports (note that this is the only feature of DirectAdmin that is using the compatibility mode for RedHat)

John

I can however restart named by using the following command while in the root.

/bin/sh /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/named restart

It then displays the new PID number.

Last edited:
Same problem here. I just updated my ports, etc., and I wanted to use the page to restart SSH and it just gave me the generic error.

Also, my system information link gives me this -

Unable to open cpuinfo for reading

frozen said:
Try installing the linux_base or linux_base-6 ports.

You had the same problem and that fixed it OR you installed those by default and you do not have this problem?

I've not experienced this problem with directadmin personally, but have with another control panel and this fixed the problem. I also did install this with the default install of FreeBSD and had no problems with directadmin getting the cpuinfo

Addition, this may also be because I have recompiled my own kernel, which I will not recommend for anyone to do, but will be happy to provide tutorials once DA FBSD has hit RC or Final.

NOTE TO DEVS: executing "sysctl -n hw.model: will output the Proc Name

ie.
[5:41][admin@fire] ~# sysctl -n hw.model
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz

For Dual CPU Machines
[8:30][frozen@cyberice] ~# sysctl -n hw.ncpu && sysctl -n hw.model
Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU family 1133MHz

Last edited:
I am curious what your logic is as to why recompiling the kernel would have anything to do with this?

I think you are probably more on the money with the linux_base suggestion since it seems there are some linux commands/paths (not compatible with freebsd) hanging around in the freebsd version which are causing a few glitches.........but I would also think that it would be better to fix the scripts so they are freebsd compatible instead of forcing them to work with a linux'esque patch.

Specifically choosing the i686 class instead of i386. Removing all uneeded drivers(which should have nothing to do with it). Like I said, it may be, not for sure, I could boot into the old kernel to find out for sure.

I agree with using what is allready native to freebsd, rather than linux emulation ports.

I installed Linux Base 6 before I installed Direct Admin.

"Unable to open cpuinfo for reading"
I have not seen this error.

Last edited:
I don't know if you have this on your bug list, but I still get this error.

Unable to open cpuinfo for reading

Back