Debian or Centos, which one is better for Directadmin?

Tommyhara

Verified User
I am using Debian for on Plesk hosting and using Centos for Directadmin. I see that Plesk is pretty fast when running on Debian. My question is, can I use Debian to run Directadmin and it is better than Centos?

It depends on your wishes. Centos has some benefits because it's the default for panels like Cpanel and Directadmin and it's easier to block things from getting downloaded via yum.
IMHO there is no "better".

Did you try Plesk on Centos also? Is it slower then Debian? Can't imagine that to be honest.

Hello,

Run Debian if you have experience with it unlike CentOS.

Note, Debian 9 might give some issues because it uses OpenSSL 1.1.x, and it's not support with old versions of software. So if you need PHP older than 5.6 you might want to use Debian 8 or CentOS 6, 7.

Did you try Plesk on Centos also? Is it slower then Debian? Can't imagine that to be honest.
I never tried Plesk on Centos because I only install cPanel or Directadmin on Centos.

Note, Debian 9 might give some issues because it uses OpenSSL 1.1.x, and it's not support with old versions of software.

What is OpenSSL?
I am using free SSL from Cloudflare for my websites. Does that affect to SSL for my websites?

So if you need PHP older than 5.6 you might want to use Debian 8 or CentOS 6, 7.
Thanks for your info but now I switched to PHP 7.x for all websites with mariadb, so I don't use PHP 5.6 or older versions any more

What is OpenSSL?

Please search in internet.

I am using free SSL from Cloudflare for my websites. Does that affect to SSL for my websites?

Keep using SSL from CloudFlare further. I don't see any reason not to do it. I did not mean this case at all.

Please search in internet.

Keep using SSL from CloudFlare further. I don't see any reason not to do it. I did not mean this case at all.

Hi zEitEr, thanks for your answer.

I have one more question.

When I used Cloudflare SSL with Directadmin, I had to buy extra IP address for each site. Is there a way to enable SSL for websites on Directadmin without buying extra IP address for them?

Thanks

Is there a way to enable SSL for websites on Directadmin without buying extra IP address for them?
Yes, by using Letsencrypt certificates. Lots to be found on the forums about that and the configuration for multple sites.

Well, I've got clients who are using CloudFlare for free with numerous domains running with certs from CLoudFlare issued by COMODO ECC Domain Validation Secure Server CA 2. And my clients have only one IP in Directadmin and default, shared IPs at CloudFlare.

So there is no more need to buy additional IPs for users and individual SSL certs since OpenSSL 1.0.x (yes, here OpenSSL comes again) and SNI, i.e. since CentOS 6 and newer.

When I used Cloudflare SSL with Directadmin, I had to buy extra IP address for each site. Is there a way to enable SSL for websites on Directadmin without buying extra IP address for them?

And, yes there are configurations on the forums as Richard has mentioned, without need for customization, all can be done from a box if you keep your server software up to date.

Hello,

Note, Debian 9 might give some issues because it uses OpenSSL 1.1.x, and it's not support with old versions of software. So if you need PHP older than 5.6 you might want to use Debian 8 or CentOS 6, 7.

Hi Alex,

I would like to use Debian but I notice that most of DirectAdmin plugins seem to be developed just to CENTOS.

For example
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58188&page=2

So ClamAV interface and other plugins like rspamd interface are forcing users to choose CENTOS if we want to get a better GUI.

Is there a page where we can see the available plugins and their requirements ?

Thanks

Hello,

I already post in many topics but no reply.

Does anybody know witch plugins do work on Debian ?

Anyone ?

Thanks

I won't comment any 3rd party plugins, you have two options:

- try and install it on debian and see whether or not it works
- contact developers of the plugins and ask them directly

I don't use Debian/Ubuntu for DirectAdmin servers, so I don't have a list either.

It's not a big deal to get TLSv1.3 and services compiled against OpenSSL 1.1.1 on CentOS 6, 7 too. Since Directadmin compiles services from sources, we are not limited to rpms here.

CentOS 8 is still missing some packages, so at least for now it is used by us as staging and dev servers.

I ran with Debian 9 for several months with no issue. But when it comes to production shared hosting, CentOS to CloudLinux conversion is a big factor and ultimately led me to switch to CentOS 7 and soon to CentOS 8. How are people finding it? I have some dev servers with it running.

Hello,

Great and direct answer.

Back