DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We're pleased to announce the DirectAdmin 1.53.0 Release Candidate:

Version 1.53.0 RC1

The full list of changes (there are many) are here:
https://www.directadmin.com/versions.php?version=1.530000

The changes range from new features, bugfixes, to finishing up the last of the json for the new skin (which is now in public testing)

--------

Noteworthy changes:

A few of the bugfixes

To test these binaries now, please grab them from the pre-release area:
https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=408

They will still show DA version 1.52.1, but the "./directadmin o" compile date should show "Feb 27 2018" or newer.

If you find any issues, for now, please report them here, rather than everyone flooding us with the same issue in the email or ticket systems :)

Thanks!

John

The tar.gz file with DA update is shipped with letsecnrypt.sh version 1.0.19, but the latest is 1.0.20. You might want to update it?

Great work indeed, nice features too.
I'm just having my doubts about one of them:
SPF default went from ~all and is now -all
Seems not a good idea to me. Not everybody sends their mail via the server. There are still enough customers sending mail via the smtp server of their own provider. In that case the -all would cause the mail to block, because the own provider is not allowed to send mail from that domain. Same for users who are using other options to send their mail (like via Gmail).

Maybe it's good to reconsider that or make a switchable option in the .conf file or something, so we can decide for ourselves if we would rather keep it ~all instead of -all to prevent these kind of issues and let the user decide if they want to use the -all option. Or keep it as it was.

I agree with Richard. Setting the SPF record to hard fail will cause many issues with customers that have no idea what SPF is. I think most of the customers that use email outside of their account do not fix the SPF record accordingly.

Great work indeed, nice features too.
I'm just having my doubts about one of them:

Seems not a good idea to me. Not everybody sends their mail via the server. There are still enough customers sending mail via the smtp server of their own provider. In that case the -all would cause the mail to block, because the own provider is not allowed to send mail from that domain. Same for users who are using other options to send their mail (like via Gmail).

Maybe it's good to reconsider that or make a switchable option in the .conf file or something, so we can decide for ourselves if we would rather keep it ~all instead of -all to prevent these kind of issues and let the user decide if they want to use the -all option. Or keep it as it was.

You can copy the template from /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates to /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom and set the -all to ~all.

Ofcourse we can, but that won't prevent issues for all the server administrators that use DirectAdmin as a next, next, finish server installation without security and customizations.

Or even the admins which do security and optimizations but do not like to do customizations.
I myself also try to keep customizations if possible to a minimum, so everything can be updated and upgraded the best possible way.

Also at the moment I can't find any benefits which would prevale the disadvantages by setting the -all to default.

Is the use case "users send emails via the smtp server of their own provider" common and widely used here in relation with a shared hosting? And how many emails sent via the smtp servers of their own provider reach inboxes on Gmail/Yahoo/OutLook/Hotmail?

If you don't adjust SPF records for your customers domains (wishing to send emails from the smtp servers of their own provider) they will complain about emails ending in a SPAM folder. And there no much deal to change -all to ~all since you already add a new TXT record to let them to use their own providers' SMTP servers.

I like the idea to have a variable in directamin.conf (and it's still OK not to have it), and the default set to -all is what we need today according to the world-wide situation and spoofing.

Sorry Alex I don't agree on that.
In our country lots of customers still use their own ISP's smtp server for mail send from their domain because ISP's limit outgoing mail to their own smtp server and lots of users don't even know about the port 465 and 587 options in spite of the fact that instructions are present.

Next to that, I had to include my isp's smtp servers in SPF even when I'm sending directly through the DA mailserver via port 587, otherwise it would be blocked, because my ip is also in the header as a helo to the DA server.
Don't know if that should happen, but I encountered issues when not including the ISP's smtp servers.

However, if it could be made a variable in directadmin.conf I think it would be satisfying for everybody, because that's a lot better then having to create custom templates.

Sorry Alex I don't agree on that.
In our country lots of customers still use their own ISP's smtp server for mail send from their domain because ISP's limit outgoing mail to their own smtp server and lots of users don't even know about the port 465 and 587 options in spite of the fact that instructions are present.

Next to that, I had to include my isp's smtp servers in SPF even when I'm sending directly through the DA mailserver via port 587, otherwise it would be blocked, because my ip is also in the header as a helo to the DA server.
Don't know if that should happen, but I encountered issues when not including the ISP's smtp servers.

However, if it could be made a variable in directadmin.conf I think it would be satisfying for everybody, because that's a lot better then having to create custom templates.

IN Holland , Germany this is common yep.

Problems:
- to get if that provider use dynamic IP's as in Germany everyday you get as "normal" User a new IP you have to know that IP-ranges, Support of Telekom and Unitymedia didn't give them, you have to search on the WEB and to monitor for bigger changes.
This if you put the IP Ranges in SPF and use the SMTP DA server with your local mailserver/ client and other ports. (local mailserver here send smtp via provider smarthost settings ( emailadres of sender) there using the mailserver DA server then)

-If not IP in SPF of that provider and using SMTP of provider to send mails yep you have to put the SMTP of your provider to.

Richard i remember we talked about that on the Phone. ;)

BUT still i'm for the default a: -all, because that forces to do things right if Using DA server / Domain for mail, and monitor check for that, then ofcourse if someone don't want / like this -all for his/her/it ;) Domain they could change it manually a easy way. ?

Still some mails are going in spam / blocked while dynamic local IP depending wich RBL list is used at the other side, where we know then using webmail for these is going without problems, if important we get us there on these mailservers of that company's whitelist.
Don't like to use smtp from ISP because this is out off own controll, and most of the time not saying wich what changes they made after some update and more. ;)

Last edited:
BUT still i'm for the default a: -all, because that forces to do things right if Using DA server / Domain for mail
I'm not per definition against the new default I just opt for switchable option, so we don't need to create custom stuff for it of having users do it from which most don't even know how to create a SPF record or change DNS records.

If it weren't so common with so many users/customers in our country's, it would be another case and I wouldn't make any noise about it.

Can we agree that DutchTSE, you and me are for a switchable option in directadmin.conf then? ;)

"metoo"... eh Me4 :)

I would think for this option it's better when it's shown when creating a new user/domain in DA.
Default checkbox is ON for "-all". OFF for "~all".

Maybe also use a variable in da.conf change its default setting for new accounts.

I'm not per definition against the new default I just opt for switchable option, so we don't need to create custom stuff for it of having users do it from which most don't even know how to create a SPF record or change DNS records.

If it weren't so common with so many users/customers in our country's, it would be another case and I wouldn't make any noise about it.

Can we agree that DutchTSE, you and me are for a switchable option in directadmin.conf then? ;)

Domain they could change it manually a easy way. ?

Something like that i was meaning.
( switch per user / reseller probably could help here.

But there is also here in forum to collect dmarc spam reports overview, maybe a idea to have this all in 1 combination overview with the settings for that emailadres/domain, and have a switch(es) and settings on that basic overview page for these domain, together with a short help.

So for Users that are new this email/smap/dmarc/spf things are more easier to see when things go wrong / right where what to change could maybe help.

More a foolproof thing, wich could safe some support time for server admins and DA support also?

Going for a A.I. solution here in the future?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for this release soon!
And how about DA use the ram?

Back