What would be the better solution: upgrade centos6 to centos7 or stick with V6

cDGo

Verified User
Some of our servers run on various versions of Centos6.

What would be the best technical or best practical solution.
Move users to new centos 7 server while updating the V6 to V7 server or keep centos 6.

In the long run, you should consider updating to CentOS7. It will be supported for a longer period of time. There is nothing wrong with CentOS6 at the moment, but at some time in the near future updates will no longer be available for CentOS6. Once updates stop, the server could potentially be vulnerable to hacking. If you have the opportunity to do the update with little to no pain, that is the route I would take.

I agree, but it does mean some downtime.

So there for I was wondering how others think about or handle in this situation.

What I have normally done to avoid downtime was to setup secondary server first with alll data migrated from previous server. Use something like tcptunnel or even iptables to forward ports from old server to new server, and forward the ports for web and email. Once that is in place the web pages and email will now be handled by the new server. You can now update the DNS records to point to new server. Let that be for a couple of days until all the dns servers have propagated properly. At that point you can now update the old server to any OS version without any added down time. Without a secondary server you will have to have some down time while the update is in progress.

We have a few dynamic websites running, so downtime is inevitabele.

The second server which will be running along side with the first is probably the only possible solution here.

fwiw, if you have sites/scripts that use ffmpeg and imagmagik/etc I have found the 6.x series works better.
however I am using clipbcket successfully on a 7.x series but it took a lot longer to set up stuff for that script.
its prob a rare situation that you would allow users (my dedicated runs just my sites alone..) to have ffmpeg based (conversions take lot of cpu ) video sites that are clones of youtube like clipbucket script is.

Back