Cron job for removing old mail

jeroenenwendy

Verified User
Hi their.

Hope someone can help me out.

I'm trying to remove/prune mails older then 90 day's.

I use this line in cron -> rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'` >/dev/null 2>&1
And it is working great.

Now their is also a .Sent Items folder (space between)

I tried the following lines
rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent Items -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'` >/dev/null 2>&1
rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent\ Items -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'` >/dev/null 2>&1
rm -f `find "/home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent Items" -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'` >/dev/null 2>&1
rm -f `find "/home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent\ Items" -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'` >/dev/null 2>&1

But none of them are working.

Hoop anyone can help me out.

tnx in advance

Jeroen

I would personally definitely not want such a thing to happen, but can't you use wildcard after .sent, like .Sent* ?
So any Sent folder would its content deleted after 90 days.

Hi BBM

tnx for your reply

tried rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent* -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/' >/dev/null 2>&1

but this is also not working :(

Can you please explain why you wouldn't do this. I no 90 day is not much but it's for testing purpose. when it is working i will set it to 1 year.
This frees up a lot of disk space for my vps.

Hello,

My guess is that you have too many files for removal, hence it fails.

What error do you get if you run the commands without ">/dev/null 2>&1" ?

Hello,

My guess is that you have too many files for removal, hence it fails.

What error do you get if you run the commands without ">/dev/null 2>&1" ?

When i try

rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent* -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'`

I get

rm: cannot remove `/home/rpsmolders/imap/rotsplantensmolders.nl/info/Maildir/.Sent': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/home/rpsmolders/imap/rotsplantensmolders.nl/info/Maildir/.Sent': Is a directory

When i use

rm -f `find /home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/".Sent\ Items" -mtime +90 | grep -E '/cur/|/new/'`

I got this

find: `/home/rpsmolders/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent\\ Items': No such file or directory

Modify your find command to search only files then.

Check man find for a help.

That's OK. Don't worry. We are all noobs here in different aspects of live. The best time to start learning then.

Carefully read man find and see examples.

If you don't want to learn, then please search Internet for ready examples or someone who will do it for you.

That's OK. Don't worry. We are all noobs here in different aspects of live. The best time to start learning then.

Carefully read man find and see examples.

If you don't want to learn, then please search Internet for ready examples or someone who will do it for you.

When is use this line find /home/jworks/imap/*/*/Maildir -name '*Sent*'

i get the right folders

/home/jworks/imap/j-works.eu/ban/Maildir/.Sent
/home/jworks/imap/j-works.eu/info/Maildir/.INBOX.Sent
/home/jworks/imap/j-works.eu/info/Maildir/.Sent
/home/jworks/imap/j-works.eu/test/Maildir/.Sent
/home/jworks/imap/j-works.eu/zaphier/Maildir/.Sent

but how to combine this with say for example -type f -mtime +90

so that the files in that folders will show for deletion

Code:
find /home/*/imap/*/*/Maildir/*.Sent /home/*/imap/*/*/Maildir/.Sent <add-your-options>

Back