Request: move remote_smtp interface to exim.variables.conf

tomputer

Verified User
In some cases I want to use a different outgoing IP (not the server IP) for all domains without having to change anything in DirectAdmin.

The current workaround is to comment this line in exim.conf:

Code:
interface = <; ${if exists{/etc/virtual/domainips}{${lookup{$sender_address_domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainips}}}}

and replace this with the IP's I'd like to use:

Code:
interface = <; 11.22.33.44 ; 2a00:1111:2222:3333::1/48

However, this will be overwritten when updating exim.conf with ./build exim_conf

I would like to propose to move the "interface =" line from exim.conf to exim.variables.conf. If anyone needs to customize this setting it will be possible with the exim.variables.conf.custom file. This would prevent overwriting the interface line in exim.conf with future exim_conf build updates.

Last edited:
Did you ever find a work around to this? I'm looking for exactly the same thing.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes I did:
Code:
domainips_default_ip=1.2.3.4
When setting an IPv4 address, Exim will still use the default server IPv6 because that's prefered (when available). I still need to try if i can set both IPv4 and IPv6 with domainips_default_ip= .

Not exactly the fix you need but we have added this to exim.variables.conf:

disable_ipv6=false
dns_ipv4_lookup=*

This way IPv6 is available for incoming emails (delivery from other servers to us) while outgoing (sending to other servers) is IPv4 only.
Maybe it is helpful for your situation :)

I've opened a ticket as disabling IPv6 outbound is not a solution.

Appreciate the feedback.

Kevin

Not exactly the fix you need but we have added this to exim.variables.conf:

disable_ipv6=false
dns_ipv4_lookup=*

This way IPv6 is available for incoming emails (delivery from other servers to us) while outgoing (sending to other servers) is IPv4 only.
Maybe it is helpful for your situation :)

Back