Is it needed to updated exim_conf when you update Exim?

Aar

Verified User
A simply question about Exim.

Is it needed to build exim_conf with the newest version when you update Exim?
And does the exim.conf make sure that spam is more easily stopped?

Last edited:
It depends on which version you have now of the exim.conf? To block more spam you could try Easy Spamfighter. Is this already active?

Now i have 4.3.4, en 4.3.6 is now available.
I think it is the best solution to update this at every update of exim? Isn't it?

Yes, it's recommended to keep Exim itself & the corresponding config files up2date. In your case: the newest 4.3.5 & 4.3.6 removes RBL services that don't work anymore. You can view all versions and the changelog here;

http://files1.directadmin.com/services/SpamBlocker/

If you have the latest Exim 4.91 you can also update to the latest exim.conf, 4.5.9.

Thns for the changelog.

I don't see the newest version of exim.conf? I see 4.3.6.
When i update Exim itself to the newest version, i can update exim.conf also to the newer version? Yes?

Edit:
Gotcha... There is a release-setting, to update this to the 4.5xx versionbranch.

Last edited:
The benefit of having the exim_conf update in options.conf active is that the exim.pl is also automatically renewed. Which is needed for the newer 4.5.x exim.conf files.
Next to that, a couple of changes needed in the older exim.conf's are not needed anymore, and some things are done via extra external files.
The 4.5 versions are just great.

Keep in mind that any manual changes to the exim.conf will be removed. For the rest you can change this options:

exim=yes
eximconf=yes
eximconf_release=4.5
easy_spam_fighter=yes

The easy_spam_fighter option checks for DKIM, SPF and Reverse DNS. It blocks e-mails if SPF (hard fail option) isn't correct, DKIM isn't correct or there is no ReverseDNS active. It concerns the sender (eg gmail to your server)

Back