FreeBSD 11.1 - Tell me about your experiences using it with DirectAdmin

IT_Architect

Verified User
FreeBSD 11.1 has been out for 8 months.
1. Who is using it?
2. How did you install and configure it, and with what options?
3. How well does it work? E.G. does it use an old version of DA or...

Thanks!

I am pretty happy with FreeBSD 11.1.

The setup is pretty straight forward - I used the installation instructions from the DA website with few changes (some things like Bind for example I installed with newer than the recommended versions).

There are few things you may need to fix (if they did not already fix) - look at the FreeBSD 11.x thread: http://forum.directadmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

That's all. It works fine.

One thing you may wish to consider is to build it with custom kernel with quotas support enabled. Not a big deal if you use Generic too anyway.

Last edited:
Is there any compelling reason to install MariaDB over MySQL?

Usually not.

I chose MariaDB because it's not controlled by huge corporation and therefore is more open to the development community as open source software.

Usually not. I chose MariaDB because it's not controlled by huge corporation and therefore is more open to the development community as open source software.
That is the reason I see cited most often also, plus the fact that Widenius, the original main author of MySQL, forked MariaDB. What the future of either will be is tough to say at this juncture, but I see more relevant progress on the MySQL side at the moment, which is why I asked.

Thanks!

Usually not.

I chose MariaDB because it's not controlled by huge corporation and therefore is more open to the development community as open source software.
Was just browsing found this. +1. Love the answer.

Back