Protecting directory

ZipperZapper

Verified User
I'm using DirectAdmin with CB2 with Nginx-only.
As known, it is possible to protect a directory from within the DA File Manager.

I thought this was working perfectly, I get the HTTP-Auth screen when I visit domain.com/protected/.
But only recently I discovered all the images inside that directory are open to the public. Directly linking to domain.com/protected/image.jpg shows the image without the need to log in.

Is this a bug, or are additional measures needed to make it work in Nginx and did I miss that info?

Can you show us the nginx rule created by DA? Somewhere in nginx.conf or included as a file.

Ofcourse. The template that is used (nginx_protected_directory.conf) looks like this:

Code:
location |PROTECTED_PATH|/
	{
|CUSTOM2|
|LOCATION_INSERT|
		auth_basic		"|AUTH_NAME|";
		auth_basic_user_file	|HTPASSWD|;

|NGINX_PHP_CONF|
	}

So that turns out to this in the nginx.conf file:

Code:
location /protected/
	{
		auth_basic		"This is protected";
		auth_basic_user_file	/path/to/the/.htpasswd;
		include /path/to/nginx_php.conf;
	}

The location / is not enough because that only applies to one URI and is not recursively, you need something like:

Code:
location ^~ /folder_that_you_like_to_protect {

Can you try this?

:) This is probably something DA needs to fix in the default templates.. Because you expect that everything(every file & folder) in the directory you protect is protected.. which it isn't.

Thanks for the report.

However.. I've just tested it here, but with a fresh browser, no previous login, I access a png file, either in the /newprotect/logo.png or /newprotect/subprotect/logo.png, but both give a password popup.
Part of the confusion I've run into in the past is the browser always remembers the login/password until you fully close that browser, then it will ask again (even if it's pre-filled).

So unless our setups are fully different, eg mine has:
Code:
        location /newprotect/
        {
                auth_basic              "Gandalf";
                auth_basic_user_file    /home/admin/domains/test-es5-64.com/.htpasswd/public_html/newprotect/.htpasswd;
        }
So to confirm if a User/pass is being sent to nginx, please check in your nginx logs:
Code:
/var/log/nginx/domains/[B]domain.com[/B].log
where we'd be looking for one of these two:
Code:
192.168.1.6 - - [11/May/2018:16:47:49 -0600] "GET /newprotect/subprotect/logo.png HTTP/1.1" 401 590
OR
192.168.1.6 - balrog [11/May/2018:16:55:30 -0600] "GET /newprotect/subprotect/logo.png HTTP/1.1" 200 9292 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.139 Safari/537.36"
just as example, where the browser would be passing the user/pass in the 2nd request, which is logged after the first dash - character (login is balrog). Also note the 200 code vs the 401 unauth code.

If you see the 1st example where there is no login, and can you access the file (confirm in the logs, not the browser which may show a cache).. while using a fully closed and fully re-opened browser, where there is no login name, then let me know and we can add in the ^~ to the default protected template. In my tests, I wasn't able to duplicate it, plus the examples right in the nginx documentation imply that the ^~ shouldn't be required. Note that we do use a trailing slash in the name, eg "/protected/" and not "/protected" which may apply to the ^~ version:
https://docs.nginx.com/nginx/admin-guide/security-controls/configuring-http-basic-authentication/

John

Thanks John for the quick support.

Strange but no, without ^~ I can defenitely access all the .jpg's inside a protected folder without a password prompt. This is indeed tested in browsers with all history and local storage cleared. In my case it's domain.com/protected/subfolder/picture.jpg. With ^~ added it is protected.

I somehow ran into a problem with Nginx and protected Directories again.
I also found out how to make it work correctly, but I can only do that in one of the custom fields.

I would like to change the format of "|PROTECTED_PATH|" in the Nginx-templates, but I can't seem to find if that's possible and where I can do that?

Back