User Password incorrect after restore from backup

kke

Verified User
I use admin backup transfer to Backup from CentOS 5.11 and restore on CentOS 7.5
After restore user can not login via directadmin, the password is setting incorrectly in the /etc/shadow

I have check /etc/shadow and found that on centos 7.x it change encryption method as below

Code:
CentOS 5
user1:!$1$m6SV7a8C$Csd55RXascJDJire/TUFa.:17663:0:99999:7:::

CentOS 7
user1:$6$xutr4nmA$0yXyH4KGU9Cz1fBpD72b5fq0XasdfKzqqu73rU/ue.qZzlPldgzxc.qDcjhFTY2DuRIUgmDBoInAdBtP.0I3n/:17663:0:99999:7:::

after restore directadmin set the hash from centos 5 into shadow file on centos 7 then the hash is incorrect to use.

Is it passible for directadmin to fix this in new version, or it is impossible.

Can I change the encryption method on centos 7 to match centos 5 before restore file?
Can I change encryption method without regenerate a new password for each user?

Any solution for this ?

User password should be same as it was on account.
I am migrating server and then fixing this password issue is a big headache

Not totally sure of your question really.. Are you referring to going from centos 5 to 7. OR are you referring to using Sha or Md5

You might read through https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=248

Nope.

Let me make you more clear.

OS of old server : CentOS7 64 bit
OS of New Server : CentOS7 64 bit

1)I took backup from DA control panel for all account (from admin panel)
2)Moved backup to new server and restored the backup of DA accounts.

Problem : Unlike cPanel, when restoring DA account backup, the password do not work anymore. cPanel never has this problem. If you restore cPanel full account backup, you will be able to login into cPanel account using the old credentials which was set before create full account backup.

Did you follow this?

Just in case did you check this to see if crypt method was set different.

Also this might help.

Yes I followed this
https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57

I am using the default crypt method. The problem is, after backup restore, the account is not accepting its password

Back