Ticketing / Issues and changes history - allowing us to contribute more

websafe

Verified User
Hello there :)

Will the Great DirectAdmin Team consider switching someday to a real "ticketing"
system, because a forum is "so 90's" and it's really hard to find anything
or - what's more important, to be able to TRACK changes.

The ideal solution would be something like the GitHub Issues.

The FAQ is great, but lets take a look at a short example.

I have an Ansible Playbook for deploying DA controlled machines.
After 6 months I'm trying to update my scripts and I start this task
by visiting https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=354
and what I see there is
Last Modified: Mar 13, 2018, 11:26 pm

Now I have to check a gazillion of packages twice to make sure what really has changed...

It would be absolutely great to have THE WHOLE FAQ as separate .md files (MarkDown)
with a simple diff history, like on GitHub/GitLab so we could see what really has changed.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Using a version control system (like Git) would allow us to CONTRIBUTE (send pull requests)
to the FAQ/manual/whatever and do some work for you.

There are many typos and unclear sentences in the FAQ that could/should be corrected
but posting this every time on the forum is a REAL PAIN in ... ;-)

Peace & Love

DA has already al real ticketing system, which can be reached at tickets.directadmin.com.

A forum might be "so 90's" but not everyting that is older is outdated or not usable.
The biggest benefit of a forum is that it's easy to see for everybody, easy searchable, every user can contribute and all solutions and opinions are share them

Github is just like reddit very unclear imho and lacks structure, pain in the but to search for solutions etc. A forum is the best, easiest and clear/structural way to do this. Also better to navigate.
We don't need to track of diff these things. That's something for the help section, not for the forums which are ment t help each other too.

Just my opinion.

Als for the faq. Yep, that could have some improvement here and there, but if I'm not mistaken, they're working on it. However it's a small team, their also busy with new releases and the new forum and DA skin, so it will take some time.

Back