How do I restore from an Admin Backup/Transfer backup?

IT_Architect

Verified User
How do I restore from an Admin Backup/Transfer backup? It made a bunch of .tar.gz files. The only reseller is admin. The files generated are:
admin.root.admin.tar.gz
user.admin.ineedah.tar.gz <-Very large file
user.admin.ineedahd.tar.gz <-That is a domain
user.admin.ineedam.tar.gz
user.admin....

When I go to restore the files to the new server, it doesn't recognize them. This article https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57 scantly makes mention of this process that it refers to as new in 2008. This article is about the the old way.
- So are we saying we setup the IPs as outlined in the article?
- Are we saying DA doesn't know how to work with the .tar.gz files in memory so we have to explode them somewhere?
- I take it I would start with the admin.root.admin.tar.gz, and do the others one at a time somehow?

Thanks!

Hello,

Copy the files into /home/admin/admin_backups/ and use Admin Backup/Transfer to restore them.

Hello, Copy the files into /home/admin/admin_backups/ and use Admin Backup/Transfer to restore them.
Got it! That's not what I was hoping to hear, LOL! I use ESXi thin VMs, and that expands the VM. I have the backups on the NFS backup volume so that wouldn't happen, and then I set the path to the files to attempt to do the restore, but it doesn't recognize any files to restore that way, even though they are all there. Moving he files to /home/admin/admin_backups/ isn't the end of the world. I can get the space back by setting unused space back to zeros and do a backup and restore.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually it should detect files from other locations as well, just make sure .tar.gz files are set to at least 644 and the parent directory is writable by user admin.

Back