Backup strategy for large data

cristian

Verified User
Hi guys,

I had a HDD fail and had to restore over 1,8 TB of data spread on 6 VPS. (over 650 DA accounts)
The process toked a long time because the backup server was in US the servers in EU also everything was slow because of the multiple email files.
The backup is also very slow because of the email files sometimes cannot finish in one week the full backup.

Anyway. 75% of the content is email files.

I want to ask you about a backup strategy change.

Now i use Admin Backup/Transfer -> All data.

I was thinking to backup (Admin Backup/Transfer) without E-Mail Data and email data to just rsync in one folder without tar.gz (only imap folder for each user)
If i have to restore my server i will restore all the accounts / website data / email will work (no old emails but new one will keep coming) so the restore processes will be a lot faster and get back online a lot more faster.

After accounts restore i will just put the emails back using rsync. This way will be less painful for clients.

Is this a good idea ? there is any script already made that can just rsync the imap folder for each user ignoring the rest of the folder ?

Thank you!

In such case before every rsync You must create fresh DA backup of E-Mail Accounts and E-Mail Settings.

I make everyday backup with no: Domains Directory , E-Mail Data inside folder /home/da_backup

Capture.PNG

Append to path Day of the week.

I get inside /home/da_backup backups - DA settings and database.

Friday
Monday
Saturday
Sunday
Thursday
Tuesday
Wednesday

inside /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/all_backups_post.sh i RUN

ionice -c3 nice -n 19 rsync -q -a --delete -e 'ssh -p 3988' /home/ root@hostname:/home/folder/home/

and i get on the backup server home folder backup.

drwx--x--- 8 1141 1005 4096 Dec 18 21:27 user1
drwx--x--- 8 1142 1005 4096 Dec 18 21:27 user2
drwx--x--- 8 1034 1005 4096 Dec 18 07:24 user3
drwx--x--- 8 1143 1005 4096 Dec 18 21:31 user4

Can you guys tell me if is the right way ?
If i need the backup and i first restore my DA then i rsync -ave back i will get everyting ?

I see that chown is 1141, 1143 rsync will know to put them back ?

Thank you

you may chown after restore, just add command to chown user's home according to it's name/UID

Not only :) rsync does not have repositories, backup retention policies, compression and encryption, for example.

Back