Outgoing Email not encrypting

nightstryke

Verified User
Alright I'm not sure if this is a Dovecot or an Exim Problem, but none of my outgoing/sent email is encrypted. I've got Let's Encrypt running and installed properly.

I've run every command zEitEr has posted in this thread and everything has returned with a response. The only thing I can't do is send encrypted mail out or on port 465. I'm obviously doing something wrong, could someone direct me as to what all I need to do to resolve this? If you need more information just ask.

Hello,

Aren't you confusing encrypted emails with sending emails over an encrypted connection?

Hello,

Aren't you confusing encrypted emails with sending emails over an encrypted connection?

I may or may not be, all I know is when I send an email from my server to another be it Yahoo, Google etc. it's not showing any security like TLS in most cases and being listed as "mydomain.com did not encrypt this message."

So I honestly don't know what the problem is which is why I'm posting here.

I may or may not be, all I know is when I send an email from my server to another be it Yahoo, Google etc. it's not showing any security like TLS in most cases and being listed as "mydomain.com did not encrypt this message."

So I honestly don't know what the problem is which is why I'm posting here.

Alright I guess I didn't understand what the problem was, Email is being sent over a secure connection, but emails are not encrypting before they're sent, so I guess I need to ask
"How do I get encrypted emails sent from my server?" or "How do I integrate GPG with Dovecot/Exim? Whichever one will help."

I have seen a plugin for roundcube that does encrypt mail called Enigma.

Last edited:
You usually don't encrypt the mail on the serverside although this is possible for webmail. Enigma is an example indeed.
Most users who require encrypted emails will not want any serverside encryption because they have no control over it and as a hoster you don't really want to be responsible for it. Users who do want encryption usually want a plugin in their emailclient so their email is already encryption before it leaves their computer.

I know, I was looking at it from the whole security aspect and to me it looks bad to have a "secure connection" for email but no "encryption" when sending to other email addresses not on the same server.

You might want to look at Cipermail (Djigzo) if you need a server-side solution.

No, Check https://www.ciphermail.com/products.html and https://www.ciphermail.com/gateway.html for more information.

And/or use Enigma as an addon to RoundCube as it was already mentioned.

p.s. Though I've installed and configured ciphermail to work with Postfix some time before, I won't guide you with installation instructions on a Directadmin server with Exim. we could do this only under a term of a commercial service with a hourly fee.

Back