DNS - FreeBSD - BIND: Are default zones worthwhile having on a web server?

IT_Architect

Verified User
Bind9 now ships with a config that contains the default forward, reverse, and broadcast zones, but my question is if they have any significant value on a web server? They sure make a mess out of DNS Admin inside of DirectAdmin. Moreover, authoritative-only DNS servers seem like they would be a better configuration for high performance because they do not have the overhead of resolving recursive queries from clients. They only care about the zones that they are designed to serve.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are using authorative only, it does not matter.

Your users however are probably using e-mails. And they do spam checking. And they use recursive DNS in that case. And here the default zones make the server better. Not much - you can live without them, but perfection is better than non-perfection.

That's it.

I don't see what's bad about the DNS admin in DirectAdmin. You have search. And normally you use it. Or you don't?

Thank you for your explanation. That was very helpful.

You have search. And normally you use it. Or you don't?
I don't, and normally have more 2-3 pages of domains at most. Since DNS Admin has columns for Local Data and Local Mail, it would be helpful if they had a default-on checkbox to filter out non-local data.

Thanks!

Back