New templating system for Custom Httpd Configurations.

Mitch

Verified User
Hi all,

Many times I'm struggling with templating in directadmin.
I use NGINX and use the templating A LOT. (using symfony so have to make adjustments etc)
I have to use a ugly and strange syntax to write the templates.

I would like to see that get that system updated, I would for example suggets jinja2 (http://jinja.pocoo.org/docs/2.10/).

And of course this would be a huge BC break so I would suggest to make it configurable and for new installations the default.

I think this would be a great improvement.
Would like to hear if you guys agree.

Greetings Mitch

Hello Mitch,

I personally don't find the syntax
ugly and strange any longer. Probably it's not very simple at a first glance for new administrators. And has some drawbacks, but still it's clean and easy for understanding.

I guess it will require much efforts and time for Directadmin developers to add support for an alternative syntax. Anyway, you might want to contact them directly via a ticket system and ask whether or not they have it in their roadmap, and suggest the improvement.

To jump in, and off-topic, what I would improve, is the API.... Or add a version v2 beside the current one that returns JSON....

Hello Mitch,

I personally don't find the syntax
ugly and strange any longer. Probably it's not very simple at a first glance for new administrators. And has some drawbacks, but still it's clean and easy for understanding.

I guess it will require much efforts and time for Directadmin developers to add support for an alternative syntax. Anyway, you might want to contact them directly via a ticket system and ask whether or not they have it in their roadmap, and suggest the improvement.

I understand what you are saying, but still, IMO jinja2 is more known then the directadmin made up syntax, its well documented and more clean :)

Of course its says a way if "preference" but I think it would be a good move to move forward and use third party software and let them worry "how to" template :)

Thanks, I will send a ticket.

Back